Help with decision about iLife 08?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shellseeker, Sep 30, 2007.

1. shellseeker macrumors newbie

I have a 2004 PB G4. I am looking at iLife primarily for iweb. I have recently started a small business and I need a way to get a decent lookikng site up without a lot of fuss and money. I basically need a site for information and to have a national organization I belong to have a link to a web page for me. A few pictures and some info.

I have looked into .mac and even had it once upon a time and never really used it except for email. What I want to do is create my web page in iweb, save it to a folder and send it on to another hosting service.

My biggest concern is needing clarification on the issue of my domain name and address. From reading this forum I am still not clear whether I can have the business name I registered as a domain name using iweb to build my site. Or do I have to use a domain with an apple tag?

I am not interested in installing imovie with the iLife package due to my current limitations on my PB and it's not something I have much time for. I will use iwork, pages, and iphoto if I purchase iLife.

I have looked into SeaMonkey and 1and1 for building a site. 1and1 just managed to waste a week of my time. Forget Mac support. They claim their web design features are compatiable with Mac, but I beg to differ.

I need to make a decision and I feel the only real issue that's keeping from purchasing iLife is the domain name and addrees issue.

Any input will be appreciated. :)

2. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

"From reading this forum I am still not clear whether I can have the business name I registered as a domain name using iweb to build my site. "

If I understand your question thusly:

"If my domain name is registered with a hosting service (such as GoDaddy, 1&1, etc.), can I build and maintain my site with iWeb08?"

If you have FTP access to the domain name (and you should), then yes, you can build and maintain a site using iWeb08 even if it is on another host.

3. shellseeker thread starter macrumors newbie

I have seen the term "FTP access" but I am not really sure what that means. I have two registered domains. One with google and one with 1and1, but I do not have an "designed" site up. Just empty parking spaces.

From reading this forum and other's, some say FTP is not an issue if you save your web page design to a folder and then send to chosen hosting site.

i guess I should have just asked, can I use my current registered domain .com with a web page designed with iWeb? :)

4. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

1. Make website with iWeb
    2. Export to disk
    3. Upload files from disk to your host via FTP
    4. There is no step four.

5. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

4. Watch you business grow from your kick butt website. :p

6. shellseeker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input. It's been helpful.

"kick butt website" Encouraging to read first thing Monday morning.:)

I am now going to try and find the best place to purchase iLife.

Thanks!