Help with decision.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SOLLERBOY, Dec 13, 2008.

1. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

Hi, I'm right on the verge of pulling the trigger on either a MB or MBP. I have just a couple of questions if anyone could please answer them.

1 :MB or MBP, I have been reading many threads asking the same question. I will be using it for Photoshop CS4 and a few other Adobe programmes like flash and dreamweaver. I will also be using Final cut express 4.

2.I will either get the 2.4MB or 2.4MBP. What are the differences other than the 2" screen size difference and the extra GPU?

3. I have read that the MB screen isn't very good, is this the case.

Thanks for any replies.

Edit : Is it likely that there will be any major hardware announcements at Macworld 09 such as blu ray?

2. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I've been asking the same questions, so here's what I've gathered.

1. Not sure

2. The screen is noticeably bigger but that also means that the computer in general is bigger. If portability is a big issue, than the MB is a better choice.

3. It's not that the screen isn't good, it's just that if you look at the MB and MBP side by side, you'll notice that the blacks and colors on the MBP look richer.

As far as any MAJOR hardware announcements, I don't think there will be any at MacWorld. Maybe some software stuff, but you can just upgrade for free.

3. SOLLERBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great help, thanks. It's what I suspected just needed someone to reassure me lol. Thanks!!!:)

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

For your use, I think you would appreciate the extra grunt and screen real estate of the Pro. The MacBook will run FCE, but it's going to be a very crowded timeline on the 13" screen. The same is true of PhotoShop etc.

Also remember the MB lacks FireWire, so unless you've got a USB or HDD camera, you're out of luck.

When I bought 2.5 years ago, I went with a MB for two reasons: 1) form factor. The MB is, imo, the perfect size for carrying around and using on a day to day basis. I'm in university, so it was an obvious choice. 2) at the time, the MB actually had a faster processor than the Pro (2.0 Ghz vs. 1.83!)

I'm now considering upgrading to the last-gen Pro, for the bigger screen, graphics, and connectivity.

But if you're going to be doing video work, I would go with the Pro, hands down.

5. SOLLERBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the comments. I was thinking the same myself. I currently use a 20" imac and even that can sometimes seem small. I do however have no need for firewire as I have a sony HDD camcorder and my d40 is usb. I think I will plump for the MBP though as I will be going to university soon.