Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skcrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
dayton, oh
The MacBook air really has made me rethink a portable device.

1) my wife has a unibody MacBook 2.4 c2duo 4gb ram needs to be replaced with either a MacBook air 13 or MacBook pro 15 . She owns an iPad 3G 64gb and iPhone. Her decision is trade MacBook for MacBook pro 15 and keep iPad for travel or trade both MacBook and iPad for air.

2). I have an iMac and iPad and iPhone. Looking at trading iPad for air. I know personal preference between two but has anyone miss their iPad 3G and iBooks for reading.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

rxtiger

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
I have the iMac, iPhone, and iPad as well. Just purchased the 13.3 with upgraded ram. I have no intention of giving up my ipad. This is a portable mac os device for me. I use the iPad for totally different purpose (surfing web, playing game apps, etc) versus productivity. If keeping both is financially possible, I say do it.

skcrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
dayton, oh
that is what every one is telling me keep the ipads. They really are different devices. Do you plan on travelling with both your ipad and macbook air. I really like the air, I like the 13inch as well. I may get one for myself. My wife wants to see if a 15inch pro and 13inch air and decide if the air will do what she needs. See what the screen size is like.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I think the 3G version of the iPad is still unique. Although the 11 inch MBA is almost as small and lightweight as the iPad it is exponentially more powerful. But for those who want to get on the Web or work their email when they don't have access to WiFi, the iPad provides the only way to do that without twisting one's self into a pretzel with the tiny screens and keyboards with which smartphones are equipped. If from my comment you guessed that I heartily disliked having to access the internet with my smartphone you guessed right.

I don't have a 3G iPad because I am away from a WiFi connection so seldom, it makes more sense for me to simply use my smartphone instead of investing in a 3G iPad whose 3G capability would be used only a few times a year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.