Help with defective speaker

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SayCheese, Jan 31, 2008.

1. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

Just a quick question.

I received a call on the iPhone today (software version 1.1.3 if it matters) and when I slid the bar across to answer it the call answered, the normal screen came up but when I put the phone to my ear the screen didn't disappear to black like it should. Also there was no sound from the speaker at the top of the phone. I pressed the speaker button to put it on loudspeaker and carried on the conversation as normal, so I know that the caller was still there etc.

Thinking that this was strange, when I finished the call I tried to call O2 customer services as I know that you get an automated voice at the start. Again I could not hear the call through the ear speaker, but was able to press the loud speaker button and it worked.

I then turned the phone off and on again, still the same issue.

I have just got home from work, and used the restore option in iTunes to restore the phone. Still the same issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the issue may be before I take it to the Apple store tomorrow and complain.

I don't want to walk in there and the Apple guy looks at me like i'm stupid and shows me an option that I accidentally pressed that means the ear speaker is disabled. It is also important to note (I think) that the screen does not go black at any point when I put it to my ear as it should do.

Thanks all in advance.

Oh and before some smart person suggests it, Yes I am holding it up the right way!!

2. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

try plugging and unplugging your headphones in a few times. sometimes that has fixed this issue with the ear speaker.

3. bassjunkie macrumors newbie

I had this issue, and sure enough, putting in the headphones several time sorted it out for me.

Hope you get it to work!

4. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Damn, I thought it was about bottom right speaker not working. No noob abuse to watch here. Moving on.

5. SayCheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow!
    Thanks people. That fixed the problem.
    I put the headphones in and out a couple of times and it now works fine again.
    Who would have thought that something so simple would be the issue?

Thanks all