Help with diagnosing my 12" 867mhz PB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bopat, Jan 6, 2010.

1. bopat macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I just recently dug up my non-functioning 12 PB from the grave in order to try and restore it as a second lappie (my own netbook, so to speak!). I am trying to figure out where the problem might lie with the PB. This is the oldest model with the soldered 128 RAM. I added 512 more to make it 640 mb.

Anyways, here is what I gt when I turned the PB on (with battery in place and connected to a power source):

1. The pb chimes and displays the gray screen with apple logo and 'rotating dial'
    2. then moves to a 'light' blue screen with a solid black cursor and stays there for a bit before
    3. moving onto another blue screen with the dial circling .... and that's it ... just sits there doing that ...
    There is no excessive heat or fan noises. It just site there quietly with the circling dial ...

I was told a long time ago that is had something to do the the logic board. I'm wondering if there is a way to 'easily' diagnose this?

so far, I have:
    1. removed the extra RAM (512 mb)
    2. Reset the PRAM
    3. reset the PMU

None of these solve the problem. My friend seems to think that it is unlikely a logic board problem given that it has made it so far in the boot sequence. I'd like to know what else I can try to se if I can make this work!

Thanks in advance for your time,

cheers,
    BP

2. segers909 macrumors regular

First try to run Apple hardware diagnoce tool from the restore disks. If it comes out clean, reinstall OS X.

3. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

If you have the restore discs or a PowerPC OS X retail disc, try to see if it will boot off that (hold down C during the boot sequence). Based on what you describe it sounds more like a hard disk issue.

4. Fern macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to my old powerbook G4 about a month or so ago. See if you can boot into safe mode (hold shift at the chime, release when the grey screen with apple comes up I believe), if you can then uncheck all your startup items and then try and boot up normally. Hope this helps!