Help with disabling root user in Leopard.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Evolvere, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Evolvere macrumors member

I have followed this guide http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20090805215651603 in order to prepare an older white MacBook I am selling to a friend. It enables you to update OS X Leopard and all included applications without creating a user account and retaining the first user welcome screen setup (complete with do-do-do-doo-do video).

The only problem is that I cannot disable root user via Directory Utility as the guide instructs, as under Edit, the only option is Enable Root User. Is there a way to do this in terminal or in single-user mode? If I miss out this step and reset the System Administrator (root) user via Rest Password in the Utilities menu of the install disc, I can still log-on as root with the password that I initially set, so something has definitely gone wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

If it says "Enable Root User" then the root user is disabled.

3. Evolvere thread starter macrumors member

Then why will it let me log-in as root with the password I set for the System Administrator (root) user via the Reset Password option in Utilities on the install disc? (Sorry for the mouthful!) Theoretically, if I don't have root user enabled, and I disable the welcome video and setup process in single-user, then what should I be presented with when I boot the Mac? Because at the moment it is giving me a log-in box, which I am able to use to log-in as root. Very confusing!

4. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

5. Evolvere thread starter macrumors member

For anyone else who comes across this, I'm afraid I gave up trying to be clever, and simply did a clean install of OS X and then updated etc. after I gave the MacBook to my friend and she had completed the initial setup. Ah well.