help with Dish network? trying to upgrade to hd

einmusiker

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
I have a dp311 an old dish receiver. I rent my house and get the dish service for free through the landlord. I'd like to upgrade the receiver to HD Can I just buy a new receiver and have the landlord call dish to activate it? Will any receiver work?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I have a dp311 an old dish receiver. I rent my house and get the dish service for free through the landlord. I'd like to upgrade the receiver to HD Can I just buy a new receiver and have the landlord call dish to activate it? Will any receiver work?
No, you'll need a brand new dish, so service will need to come out, take down the original dish and put up a brand new one.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I can't answer this but I would think you should have HD with your tv no?
If he is not getting HD programming then his HD TV isn't going to magically make it HD. There are channels that are non-HD still, even on my DirecTV.

No, you'll need a brand new dish, so service will need to come out, take down the original dish and put up a brand new one.
I don't know if the dish itself has to be replaced. Have you had experience with that? I would have thought it would be the receiver. My cable company offered some upgrades which only required new receivers, not a new dish.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I don't know if the dish itself has to be replaced. Have you had experience with that? I would have thought it would be the receiver. My cable company offered some upgrades which only required new receivers, not a new dish.
I'm on DirectTV so things may be different, but when I went from SD to HD, they had to take the old dish down and put a new HD compatible dish.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm on DirectTV so things may be different, but when I went from SD to HD, they had to take the old dish down and put a new HD compatible dish.
Ah. I started with HD. It seems weird but I guess not entirely weird. I wouldn't want those yahoos drilling into my roof again.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yeah, in fact, we went from SD (started with DTV I’d guess about 12 years ago[?]), then went to HD requiring a new dish, then upgraded again (their free recommendation) to a newer design HD dish (more LMBs).

Hahaha, at one point, we were just using DTV for the NFL package, so I picked up a tripod and would just “deploy” the small dish to the porch on Sundays :D Spent whole seasons listening to the alignment BEEP BEEP BOOP :D

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Ah. I started with HD. It seems weird but I guess not entirely weird. I wouldn't want those yahoos drilling into my roof again.
Luckily for me, they attached the dish on the back side of my house and not the roof. I asked them to put it as high as possible only because the prior installation had a tree in the line of site.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Luckily or me, they attached the dish on the back side of my house and not the roof. I asked them to put it as high as possible only because the prior installation had a tree in the line of site.
Interesting. DTV came out to move my cable from one end of the wall to the other. The first time they drilled into the side of my house. This time they came up through the crawlspace and drilled through my flooring. I wasn't paying attention and the kid did it about 8" from the wall so I have a black cable popping up out of the flooring. I called DTV and was told this was the right way but without looking, he cannot figure out why it was so far from the wall. Basically there's little they can do since they drilled through laminate. I'd hate to see what these kids do if I ever want to get another dish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.