Help with disk upgrade noise

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by simaomm, Apr 4, 2009.

1. simaomm macrumors newbie

Hello,

I bought a Samsung HM320JI, 320GB 5400 RPM SATA to replace the 160GB Hitachi that came with my late 2008 macbook.

After upgrading I noticed a high increase of noise from the disk, I didn't even hear the disk before and now I always hear it.

I also tried with a Western Digital 250GB Scorpio and I also hear a lot of noise.

The only silent disk is the one that came with my macbook, the hitachi one. Can I do something to lower the noise of my new samsung disk?

Thank you for your help,
    Simao

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Did you transfer the rubber feet from the old hard drive to the new one?

3. simaomm thread starter macrumors newbie

?
    What rubber feet?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Normally laptop hard drives have rubber bumpers screwed to the sides, which dampens noise and provides some token protection from physical shocks. I believe that the MacBook hard drives are the same, although you may need a T8 screwdriver to remove them.

5. simaomm thread starter macrumors newbie

yes I did transfer the screws from the old disk to the new one, but they are not made of rubber, they are normal metal screws.

Thank you for your help.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hmm, well you'll have to wait for someone more familiar with MacBooks to answer that one. All laptops that I've seen have some kind of shock/vibration absorption system, and it sounds like that's what you're missing.