Help with disk utility

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Eggman32, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Eggman32 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble getting disk utility to set up my 2TB external HD the way I want. I would like to have one 500gb partition to use for time machine to back up my macbook pro, and have a 1.5 TB partition to store my video files. It seems to only let me divide the disk into two equal parts, or have 1 partition with 1TB and one with less than that. I can't get it to divide unequally. Is this possible? Thank you!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In the partition tab just click the little resize thing in the lower left of the first partition. It should allow you to change it. Then click Apply.

3. Eggman32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I see how I could make two unequal partitions on the disk, but I would have to erase everything that I have backed up to do so, then put all the data back on. Is there a way I can still keep the data I have on and do the same? It allows me to resize each partition smaller, but doesn't let me resize 1 of them bigger, past the middle line.

Attached Files:

• Disk.jpg
      Disk.jpg
      File size:
      362.1 KB
      Views:
  4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You don't have to erase the data that's already on there. As for resizing the other lower one, I think you have to resize the upper on first.

5. Eggman32 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried this, it just wont let me move the middle at all. I don't know what else to try