Help with documentary

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by heron88, Aug 24, 2008.

1. heron88 macrumors 6502

I'm going to be shooting a documentary for my school on the basketball team. I will be shooting with a gl2(possibly an hv20) and editing in fce 4. I'm just wondering what framerate I should shoot in and what kind of fx would give me that documentary type feel.

thanks

2. -DH macrumors 65816

"That documentary type feel" you refer to is more in how you tell the story than in what frame rate or effects you use. But since there have been documentaries of all types produced over the years, perhaps you're referring to a particular type. Are there any examples you know of?

-DH

3. heron88 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That look would be called "high production value" achieved by using professional gear and a professional crew.:D

Since you'll be shooting your basketball team stick w/60i. Shooting 24fps will give you choppier looking motion of the guys/girls playing. Focus on the story, always get good audio (never use the camera's built in mic to record audio when you are interviewing someone), and use a tripod (or monopod if you are running around a lot) to help keep the home-movie-shaky-cam to a minimum. Focus on the fundamental aspects of filmmaking and storytelling and you'll be alright (you've got to walk before you can run).

Lethal