Help with Dreamweaver and images not showing on PC

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by zzdxnr, Sep 4, 2011.

1. zzdxnr macrumors newbie

I created a website american-film-academy.com. The header image and the poster image display fine on a mac but don't show up at all on a pc... I am baffled. I have worked on this for days... any help out there???? Thank you.

2. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

Neither show up on my Mac. (Using chrome + firefox) -- going directly to the image URLs loads broken images, as well.

3. zzdxnr thread starter macrumors newbie

Partly fixed but why

The images were showing on Safari but not Windows. So I changed the posters image to a .gif file and that worked. Why did windows not like .jpg? I tried the same with the header: background: url(images/site_title_bg_edit.gif) center top no-repeat; which is located in the css file but it still does not work????

What else can I try?

4. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

It looks like the CSS hasn't been updated on the server -- it's still trying to reference the .jpg version.

That being said, you can't just change the text extension of files like that -- you need to have the extension match the format the image is saved as. For photos, you should be using PNG or JPG format, with the correct .png or .jpg extension. The reason it was not showing in some browsers is that was most likely saved in GIF format, but labeled with a .jpg extension, which will cause things to go a bit haywire.

5. zzdxnr thread starter macrumors newbie

I went back into the image and saved it as a .gif. I updated the css file but it still does not work. it just does not seem to want to show the new header. Unfortunately it shows up fine on my mac and my son's mac. How would I take it out of the css file and place it on the main template... would that even help?

6. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

It's showing up correctly on mine now -- try clearing your browser cache. CSS files are cached pretty aggressively by browsers.

7. zzdxnr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

Thanks so much for sticking with me on this! Any ideas why a gif would work over a .jpg??? Very strange!

I appreciate your help!

8. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

No worries! My guess is that it was originally saved as a GIF format, but with the .jpg extension. Safari was able to understand what it was supposed to do with the file, but some of the other browsers were wigging out. When you re-saved it as a GIF with the .gif extension, all browsers were able to handle the file.