Help with drive on aebs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mediamab, Jul 22, 2009.

1. mediamab macrumors member

Hiya,

I have a drive on airport extreme which is hfs+ formatted etc and shared under the airport pass word.

I can connect fine by going to finder and connect to server, but if I jys click on the aebs under shared then it's sits for ages and won't connect. Everything is fine when i've gone to connect to server. Should this be happening?

Exactly the same happens when trying to connect to my iMac from my air.

My understanding is clucking on the devices under shared should work without going to connect to server or am I wrong?

I just want it to be running as it should before I continue building my new setup, and this is baffling me. Airport is currently using 7.4.2 and I've tried downgrading to 7.4.0 and makes no difference!

Please help or tell me what's happenings is as it works, I know I can use it all fine I would just like everything working as it should :)

many thanks

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

When you click on the computer (rather than a volume) in the Shared section of the left pane, you're supposed to get a list of the available shares on that machine in the main pane of the window. That's the expected behavior if you're logged in to that server and/or the password has been saved.

I'm guessing, then, that maybe you didn't add the password to the Keychain? If you're not logged in, there should be a dark grey stripe across the top of the main pane that says either "Connecting...", "Connected as: [user]", or "Connection Failed", plus a couple of buttons on the right end of that bar. Which of those are you getting?

Assuming the bar is showing, up, you should be able to click the "Connect As" button and enter a username and password. Checking the "Remember password" box in that dialogue will save you needing to enter it again.

Another possibility is that you're connecting as the wrong user (maybe Guest), in which case you'd need to first click the Disconnect button, then Connect as the correct user.

If you're not getting that black bar at all, what do you see in the main pane?

(One additional note: I have this running on 20 machines at work, plus with my home Mac server, and it works almost flawlessly. Almost, I say, because occasionally my home machine will stick at the "Connecting..." message even though it already knows the password and login. Never really bothered pinning the cause down, since a reboot will fix it and I can alternately just use the same dialogue you've been using.

Bonus tip: Make an alias of your network volume and/or drag it to the Dock, and you can connect with one click bypassing both the Connect To dialogue AND clicking on the server in the Finder pane. By far the fastest way.

3. mediamab thread starter macrumors member

Im logging in as the correct user and the passwords saved. If I go to connect to server and connect it doesn't pop up with login details and it connects instantly - then I can go through the shared tab.

If i go directly via shared it sits saying connecting in the bar then conenction failed. If i try the conntect as feature the exact same thing happens and no login box pops up.

My understanding is that going to connect to server is effectivly the same as clicking on the computer or aebs under shared tab.

So it just doesnt make sense why it wont work? and its not occasionally either its all the time.. after multiple restarts and re configurations of everything =(

cheers for any help