Help with DVD rips

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zerocool23, Feb 23, 2008.

1. zerocool23 macrumors newbie

Ok, I have a bit of a long description of my problem, but here it goes. So I have Toast 8 Titanium, MactheRipper, and Visualhub, on my Powerbook G4, OS 10.5 installed. I decided to test out all of these programs by ripping a copy of A Clockwork Orange that I bought awhile ago.

I performed the rip in MactheRipper, that worked fine. I now have a file on my desktop entitled "A Clockwork Orange" that holds the Video_TS folder and a Jacket_P folder (this folder holds 3 .mp2 files). Anyways, I went onto Toast 8 and opened the folder "A Clockwork Orange" to begin burning onto a blank DVD +R. Obviously it would need to compress the file a little bit, so it compressed successfully, but as the process neared 100%, I received an error that something was wrong. When I watched the disc, the menu and main movie were intact, but none of the special features worked. I have since tried Toast once again, and got a different error, but this time, only the movie was intact, not even the main menu.

I then used Visualhub to make a disc image of the movie. This worked (it took 3 hours), but again, the description on Toast was that the movie was intact but there was no main menu or special features. My question is: how can burn this, and other movies to a DVD with everything intact, main menu and all? Thanks for listening!

2. ClemsonGLI macrumors newbie

3. zerocool23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, so you have the same problem? Strange. Well, I'm testing another DVD, Dr. Strangelove (as you can see, I'm a big Kubrick fan), and I'll post again once if it's successful or not. I'm hoping that the problem was just with the Clockwork Orange DVD...

4. zerocool23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. Dr. Strangelove was burned onto my system using MacTheRipper, and I burned only the VIDEO_TS file created, not the other. The burn WAS successful. The only difference between my Dr. Strangelove dvd and Clockwork Orange dvd is that Clockwork Orange had the original movie trailer attached to it as a special feature. I now remember that A Clockwork Orange's error was in the verification process after the actual transfers took place, but I still don't see why it keeps messing up...

5. ClemsonGLI macrumors newbie

The reason Dr. Strangelove worked is because the Video file was less than 4Gigs. Newer movies or ones with increased menus/options are dual layered so what i am looking for is something that will compress (which sacrifices some quality) to fit on a standard DVD. I have accomplished this on my PC with Nero Recode compression program but have not got it down on my beloved mac.

6. zerocool23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dr. Strangelove was actually over 5 gigs, I use Toast 8 Titanium. For some reason, all of a sudden, all DVD rips that I've tried are now working. I retried Clockwork Orange with another copy that my friend had (ripped at over 6 gigs), and Toast automatically sacrifices minimal quality to fit it onto a DVD.