Help with eBay imbecile

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wikus, Jun 18, 2012.

1. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

OK SO! Heres the story;

I recently sold a *used* portable minidisc player/recorder. My listing had about 4 photographs of the items included. The final buyer was left with a $38.23 price + a flat shipping rate of $15. My auction specified to pay with paypal.

My problems with the buyer are the following;

1) He refused to pay with regular paypal and wanted to pay with an e-check.
    2) He requested a different shipping rate rather than the flat rate.
    3) Payment was NOT recieved within a week (and still hasnt been received after 11 days). I made it clear to send payment before June 13th, 6 days after the end of auction because I am now in Turkey (not in Canada).
    4) The buyer complained about the condition of the device despite clearly buying a USED item. Yes, some knicks and scratches are present but apparently a single missing screw is present, the battery door does not hold firm (although it does hold firm enough), and apparantely the unit is 'slow'. From my experiences with Minidisc devices, ALL of them are a little slow and the battery door *does* suffer a little, especially after 11 years.

5) The buyer complained about the device not being compatible with other new formats; absolutely ridiculous, its exactly like buying a VHS player and expecting DVD playback.

6) The buyer also complained about items NOT being sold to him despite the fact that those items WERE NOT LISTED.

7) Because I had little time before leaving the country, I sent the item anyway without receiving payment, in hopes of good will from the buyer.

Despite all the complaints, the unit is in FULL working condition; it plays and records fine. I will admit that I did not state a screw was missing because I never noticed it. I didn't think that a slightly loose battery door would impact the performance of the unit, therefor did not warn against this and more importantly I never noticed this either as I've had many MD players myself and the battery door is known to be very flimsy after heavy use, however my sold unit didnt show any significant signs of dysfunctional operation or even a loose door. In short, the unit is in 100% functioning condition despite being used.

I've agreed to sell the item at a reduced shipping rate instead of the fixed shipping. I've agreed to sell it with a different payment method. I've even agreed to reduce the total price to ZERO shipping after all of the complaints and yet he still demands to only pay $20 for the item + shipping. As it stands, the invoice has been sent with FREE shipping.

I am *tired* of dealing with this idiot and would like to know what my options are at this point? I am on my summer vacation and have no time to waste in Turkey on quebecor buyers. (next auction will clearly state i will not ship to quebec).

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That was your mistake 1 - 3 were red flags not to send it too him.

There's not much help anyone can give AFAIK. If its an option, take it back and refund him the money.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My advice, life is too short and beautiful to stress over $20

Settle for less or write it off entirely and go have a margarita and enjoy your summer vacation

4. wikus thread starter macrumors 68000

wikus

He can't send it back, but hes not getting a refund because he STILL hasnt payed for it! Its absolutely ridiculous. I think it's fair to say that I'm being FAR more than generous in this matter, I've bent over backwards on all the issues and am still having to deal with this first class moron all the way from TURKEY.

At this point I want to make this loser suffer through making a claim on eBay and have his ass banned or punished in some form. I'm really pissed off about this.

----------

I know, its a measly $20 at this point, but the final price was $53 with shipping. I want karma to be dealt at this point. It would bring me great satisfaction for this dumbass to be brought to justice.

----------

This is his email about the complaints;

5. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

It's an inexpensive item to get so picky about, but I still try to disclose all defects. If a buyer is unhappy, I would give them a refund rather than risk bad feedback.

As far as deviation from the rules, I get it all the time. "Local pickup only" seems clear enough, doesn't it?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No argument here, but my point was that after seeing his not willing to pay you using your stated terms should have raised the red flag to walk away. I didn't mean to make my post sound as harsh it might have. :(

As others stated, for 20 bucks, consider a life lesson and move on.

7. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

I disagree with previous posts completely. Yes, it's only $20 but it's the principal. Somebody must teach this moron of a buyer a lesson. What I would do is call up eBay (they do have phone lines) and explain the situation to them. Then let them sort it out. That's what you pay the fees for.

If everything about shipping was stated on your page then that's the only way it should go since those auctions are a binding contract. If the buyer has issues then tell him to either send it back for a refund (at his own expense) or keep it and shut up.

8. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

This is the main problem and what concerns me for your situation. Since the buyer hasn't even paid yet, you have almost no leverage, and he has your item.

I would certainly try contacting eBay, but I'm not sure what they can do, since they can't like...suck money ou tof his bank account. You know what I mean?

Unfortunately, eBay has been ruined by scammers and jerks. It's a lesson a lot of people have had to learn, at least yours is only a $53 lesson. The best bet for getting some of your money back is to just find common ground with the buyer, even if it's less than you wanted, it's something. Lesson learned, never send an item without receiving full payment.

If he refuses, then I'd see what eBay can do, but I wouldn't expect any sort of justice. It's become a buyer's system, and it's easy to scam. Sorry man.

9. wikus thread starter macrumors 68000

wikus

I had to send it, I really didnt have much time before I left the country, especially with my schedule at the time; 3 freelance jobs PLUS getting ready to prep/pack for vacation. I knew that I wouldnt have much time so I sent it early regardless.

Is it possible to report the member after the sale for eBay to keep him on the lookout? Is there any kind of suspension that eBay can execute or the likes?

This guys is completely unreasonable, I'm completely FLOORED of how stupid he is. Its not the $20 thats pissing me off, its the fact that he's trying to manipulate me with me being on my vacation ON TOP.

10. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I got scammed out of $260 on my last vacation through PayPal. Consider yourself lucky ;)

Anyway, after 14(?) Days of the auction close, you can report a non paying buyer to ebay.

Also, if he has ever used PayPal with a credit card or bank account, they can give you money and then automatically withdraw the money from his account. At least I think they can.

If you do the non paying buyer thing the seller fees for that item will also be revoked. I got $30 back when someone didn't pay for a $350 laptop.

One thing I have to say about ebay is that there customer service is pretty good (compared to other companies, obviously not :apple: )

11. wikus thread starter macrumors 68000

wikus

Just got another email from this guy;

12. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

One screw does not cause something to fall apart. This guy is full of it. Ask for pictures

13. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

If it were me, I'd just ignore him from here on in. I know my time is far more valuable than $50 for the amount of time you're having to deal with his bull ****.