Help with ebooks on my ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Skgirl, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Skgirl macrumors newbie

Everyone please be kind... This is my first post in this forum and I couldn't figure out how to start a new topic, so I'm expanding this one...

Has anyone successfully downloaded an ebook from their public library? I have Overdrive loaded on my iPad - is that all I need? I tried to download Adobe Digital Reader but that was not allowed.

Thanks for any help you can give me, either on the ebook issue or the new topic...

2. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I'm sorry but there's no direct way to do it. I put library Overdrive Epub books in iBooks on my iPad and Overdrive PDFs on GoodReader (now able to do it to iBooks as well). It requires that you bring the book into the computer version of Digital Editions first and then strip the DRM from the book. At that point you can put the book directly onto the iPad with iTunes. Obviously, this is anything but direct or legitimate due to the DRM.

3. Skgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

avaloncourt writes: (It requires that you bring the book into the computer version of Digital Editions first and then strip the DRM from the book. At that point you can put the book directly onto the iPad with iTunes. Obviously, this is anything but direct or legitimate due to the DRM.)

I have a ebook downloaded onto my pc now. Could you explain how I would strip the DRM from the book? And then do I connect my iPad to my pc for transferring? Sorry if these are moronic questions. I'm good at following instructions...

4. glitch44 macrumors 65816

Sorry, asking how to circumvent DRM is against forum rules. Here they are, if you want refresh yourself on them.

Perhaps in the future your library will enable iPad access but in the meantime iBooks and Amazon Kindle has a large selection.

5. SkepticOnWheels macrumors newbie

6. Skgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry - I was not intending to break any rules, just wanting to be able to legally borrow ebooks from the library.

7. ninerfan macrumors regular

SKgirl, do not feel alone in your frustration. I have been trying to do this for 2 days now with no success.

Overdrive sucks! It will not recognize my iPhone or my iPad, nor will it recognize iTunes. I have done everything that has been suggested, still nothing.

As far as downloading Adobe Digital Editions ... you have to have an Adobe ID. Go to their site and establish one. It is my understanding that ADE does all that is required, but I can't get any of it to work :(

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

ninerfan: the original poster, SKgirl, hasn't been on the forum since June 23, 2010. I suspect she won't see your reply to her nine-month-old problem.

Amellia Sen: resurrecting an ancient thread to advertise your site? Really?

As for OverDrive, it does work, or at least it does on my ipad. The interface isn't as nice as iBooks, but I can pretty easily go from the ipad Overdrive app to look up ebooks available from my library and check them out all from my ipad.

I'm no expert and I don't know what you have/haven't tried, but your public library has to support it, and you end up logging in using your library card number and PIN.

9. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Nice catch deeddawg. These spammers have no morals. This is her first post on Macrumors and it's spamming some website.