Help with EFI Hard Drive names!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gigabot, Jun 2, 2011.

1. gigabot macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I'm currently building an external drive with a few os installers and other data partitons. What im trying to do is have os 10.5, and 10.6 installer on there.

I have made my partitions, and restored the install dvds to their respective partitions.

I then renamed the partitions to "10.5 Install" and "10.6 Install" so i would know the difference as they are originally named "Mac OS X Install".

Now when I boot from the drive to the EFI boot options, I'm shown "Mac OS X Install" for both, which does not help as now I do not know which is which!

Could any of you geniuses shed some light on to this topic?

Cheers!

gigabot

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

Try using distinctive icons for each partition

3. larkost macrumors 6502a

My guess is that you need to use the following command:
    Code:
    bless --device <device> --label <name>
    With <device> being the device name or path (disk0s2 or /dev/disk0s2) and <name> being the name you want. Oddly EFI uses an image rather than really rendering text names, so if you want to get creative you can instead use the
    Code:
    --labelfile <file>
    switch and supply your own image (the limitations and requirements are in the 'bless' man page).

4. debu macrumors newbie

easiest way is just name the volumes on the desktop the way you want them to appear, then go into System Preferences > Startup Disk, select one of the volumes and click "Show All"

Do the same for each volume on the disk and you should be all set.