Help with emailing photos

Discussion in 'macOS' started by speed999, Aug 19, 2009.

1. speed999 macrumors newbie

Hi

This has been bugging me for a while, and after finally attempting to solve the problem myself - and failing miserably, i thought i'd put myself at your mercy to find the answer.

I have an issue with emailing photos via mail. When i drag a photo from iphoto it inserts it into the new message but the picture takes up 3 /4 of the screen. When I email that picture to a PC it comes out the same way - so to view you have to save it and open it via the default viewer or you can view as is but you have to use the mouse to swim around in the gargantuan image.

I know you can send it as an icon - but i don;t want that as i like to have the picture displayed. I know you can change the size of the image by clicking down the bottom right - but that changes the resolution...i don't want to do that.

Is there a way to shrink the size of your images whilst maintaining full quality?

Thank you in advance

Ross

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

I don't think there is a way you can do this.

Ideally you could edit the underlying HTML code of the e-mail and change the display size of the image. i.e. if the image is 4000x3000 pixels, you could change the inline display size to 400x300 pixels.

Why not send two files, a full size as an attachment, and a small size as inline?

3. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Two things. First, have you tried to email simply from iPhoto (click on the little email button at the bottom after selecting your photo(s))? Or, rather than just dragging the photo to an email, use the export function in iPhoto to export to your desktop. Using either of those methods will result in you getting a prompt as to what size you want to send. You can pick whatever you want.

Does that help?

4. speed999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I think i'll just have to stick to icons/thumbnails for email as the photos i send are usually to clients - so i don;t want them to accidentally save the wrong version.

I appreciate you taking the time to offer some advice.

ross