HELP with error 1601, 1603, 1604

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iPhoneguy2011, Sep 5, 2011.

1. iPhoneguy2011 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone I am new to this forum and I am happy to be here!:D I found it will trying to find solutions to my 3g's issue.

I have a 16gb iPhone 3g that recently had an issue while restoring. It gave me the error 1603 at first and i tired iREB and a custom install of 4.2 and nothing worked. (tried like 25 times)

Tried DFU mode and regular restore (gave me 1603 or 1604)

then I got 1601 so i uninstalled then reinstalled itunes (like said on apple.com) and that didnt work. I tried that on another computer too. nothing worked.

Ive tried a handful of other fixes i found online and youtube with nothing.

The battery is kinda shot in the phone and I do have a new one coming. But now it wont even get to a point where iTunes will recognize the phone is attached all it says is "waiting for iPod" and gets stuck on that till it gives a 1601 error again.

Is there anything I can do to get this phone back up and running? will replacing the battery even do anything?

Thank you in advance for any and all help!!

2. iG0tB00ts macrumors newbie

What iOS firmware were you on before? If it was higher than iOS 4.2, you won't be able to restore. When you tried iReb, did you follow the instructions properly? And what error did you get after iReb? These details would be helpful to me.

3. iPhoneguy2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

I recall it was 4.2. should I try to restore to a higher one? yes i followed the ireb instructions properly, when it said the screen should now be green try custom install i did and i got 1603 and 1604....now ireb freezes when i try.

thank you so much for the help!

4. iPhoneguy2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Re-tried everything and still can't get it to do anything... Is there something I m missing or haven't tried?

5. iG0tB00ts macrumors newbie

Huh... uh have you been trying to restore to a lower firmware or higher? It should definetly be a higher iOS. Go to http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750 and search for this firmware in the list "4.2.1 (3G): iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw" BE SURE IT IS FOR 3G(You have a 3G, right?) and download it and try it again. Still trouble? hmm... pm me then. :)

6. iPhoneguy2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hey thank you very much for the help! I will try that and if it doesn't work I'll pm you! Thanks!

7. iPhoneguy2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK well i mt not be very smart cuz i dont see how to PM you in this forum.

I did what you suggested. I even got the IREB to work again. got that version from the site, got it in DFU mode and did a custom install and it still came back 1601...do you think putting a new battery in will do absolutely anything?

thanks again for all the help!

8. iG0tB00ts, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

iG0tB00ts macrumors newbie

Nah I highly doubt the battery has got anything to do with this. :) Are you running on windows or mac? And another, try doing this on your friends computer. It might work on theirs. Wait! before trying on your friends, go to C:>Documents And Settings>"User name">Application data>Apple computer> and delete the SyncServices folder. Restart your computer and check.

9. iPhoneguy2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

that didnt work either...

Well i took it apart cleaned the connectors and put everything back together and it is more responsive. but now all it does it give 1603 all the time and EVERY fix i could find online doesnt do anything... this phone is a nightmare...any other ideas ? thanks for all the help.

10. iG0tB00ts macrumors newbie

Wow, I'm out of ideas, :p since deleting the syncservices folder din't work, ehm.. Uh..well...hmm. uh. whatever :p Did you try on your friends computer yet?And when you try putting the 3G on, what comes on the screen?

11. iPhoneguy2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea tried it on multiple computers of mine...same thing...if i do DFU mode it gives me 1601 and if i get it to the connect in tunes screen i get 1603...

im about to call it a day and sell it as a parts phone.

12. iG0tB00ts macrumors newbie

Yeah. Sorry I could not help you, never came across such a thing :( Though you can buy a iPhone 2G off ebay and if you want multitasking and folders on it, use whited00r. Google it :)