Help with ethernet network PC and Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alanswalker, Jan 24, 2008.

1. alanswalker macrumors member

Hey

I've managed to network my mac and pc together so my mac can see the shared folders on my pc i cant copy any to my mac.

Can anyone help?

I am signed into my old comp as a guest but i signing in as a registered user has no effect and i stay signed in as guest

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I don't know if this helps, but 10.5.0 has a bug where it sometimes might not be able to write files onto Windows via a network (SMB share). Updating to 10.5.1 fixed this for me

But of course now I can't even see the windows machine unless I connect via the IP address :mad:

3. durija macrumors 6502

If you can see the folders, then I don't think it is a network issue. If the PC is formatted FAT32, you should be able to do as you please, assuming you have enabled file-sharing appropriately on the PC. If the PC is formatted NTFS, you should be able to see, but not read or write the NTFS files.

Note, you can see Mac files from Windows with an app like MacDrive 7. I am sure there is something for going the opposite direction to manipulate NTFS files from a Mac.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It does not matter what format the PC drive is in. If the Mac can see the file, it should be able to be copied (if the permissions on pc is set correctly).

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I had similar issues with my Mac and my Dad's PC. I could never really get the Mac to access the PC's files. I could however, turn on PC File sharing on my Mac, and access my Mac from the PC.

If you only want to copy some files over the network, once in a while, you could try this and work from the PC and not the Mac. Not a very elegant solution, but it works if you don't have to do it very often.

Of course if you are just copying files, you could always use a flash drive or external drive also...