help with .EXE file

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by martymar112, Jun 6, 2013.

1. martymar112 macrumors member

I am taking a online class and need help downloading an exe file. My class deals with Microsoft office programs. So my class set up an EXE file that has saved files on it to edit and do changes with but i am having trouble downloading it or finding a free or cheap program that will convert these so i can get these word, excel, and powerpoint files on my computer.
    if anyone can help i would appreciate it thats again
    mike

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Is this just a EXE of compressed files? You can use the free app The UnArchiver to open that.

3. jlehman macrumors member

Generally .exe is an application or installer for a windows application. I think you are going to need Windows to open that or maybe someone could open it for you and email you the files.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

More likely that Weaselboy is correct and it's just a self-extracting archive if the OP is right that it contains a bunch of Office docs.

B

5. jlehman macrumors member

You could try UnArchiver. Always a good free app to have. I've also used The Unarchiver which is found on the App Store. If it's an actual windows application you're probably not gonna be able to open it / install it though.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

7. martymar112 thread starter macrumors member

it works

Weaselboy

thanks it worked like a champ. got it downloaded in sec!!

8. jlehman macrumors member

Hopefully, just strange they didn't use a simple .zip file but some of these online courses and stuff have stupid programs. I work at a college and MyITLab is a pain for students with Mac. I just recommend they use college computers. I hate that software. Sadly it even works terrible in Windows too.

http://www.myitlab.com/

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nothing strange about it. Self extracting archives are very common.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

A fact which remains unfortunate since self-extracting archives can be an easy vector for viruses to attach themselves to.

B

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

This.

I remember the days of making self-extracting archives, in the 90's. In the DOS days. The big benefit was that folks didn't have to download and install PKZIP or UnARJ or LZH or whatever compression program you used. You just made it an EXE and everyone could use it. But every major OS has included built in ZIP file support for the past decade or more. Self extracting EXEs are no longer necessary and, as balamw indicated, potentially even dangerous.

12. jlehman macrumors member

I guess i'm just a young buck. I've never seen a self extracting .exe in my life and I've worked with win 98 and OSX 10.5 till now. I guess i just always seen .zip or .rar when people send compressed folders or files. Good to know and have fun in your online course OP.