Help with expanding the graphics of the 2010 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bennie550, Mar 25, 2011.

1. bennie550 macrumors newbie

I am using a summer 2010 iMac (21.5 inch).

I have found that the ATI Radeon HD 4670 is not enough for my gaming needs... I know that it will be nearly impossible to replace the internal gpu, that is built into the computer... My question is, how can I connect (externally) a video card to my computer such as these: http://www.nvidia.com/object/buy_now_results_ci.html?id=GFGTX560TI

I will only be using this graphics card with bootcamp for windows 7, so I don't think that the mentioned graphics cards not being compatible with the mac os will be a problem.

Can I connect the graphics card using a mini display port adapter? If so, which ones?
    If not, what can be used to connect the graphics card to the computer so that it can be used at full speed for gaming within bootcamp?

2. Terrador macrumors regular

Not gonna happen, man. iMac has no PCI slots of any sort or shape.

3. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

The iMac probably wouldn't even be able to power all of the gpus in that link.

4. bennie550 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Terrador macrumors regular

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is no way of doing this. There are some USB GPUs but they are much, much slower than your internal one since USB is limited to 480Mb/s while PCIe 2.x x16 provides up to 64Gb/s (64 000Mb/s).

7. MacHamster68, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

there there are two extremely simple way of getting a better /faster GPU ,
    number 1 :
    just sell the iMac and buy a MacPro and a 27" cinema display , sorted then you can have any GPU you want for your windows gaming needs

number 2 :
    keep the iMac and get a proper gaming rig for gaming , then you too can have any GPU you want for windows maybe something like that here would be suitable ..just
    http://computers.toptenreviews.com/gaming/cyberpower/cyperpower-pc-black-pearl-review.html

sorted problem solved
    as the iMac is everything ,but not a gaming rig , having said that most seem happy with the iMac's performance even when gaming

8. bennie550 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone. I see that I will unfortunately have to get a new computer for gaming :( O well. Thanks for the help!

9. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

10. ugru macrumors 6502

ugru

11. bennie550 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have a playstation 3, is there any way to use my iMac as a monitor for that?
    I already know of a way to use a mouse and keyboard for gaming on the playstation 3, it would be ideal if I could use the iMac as a screen :)