Help with expose/switching windows/etc

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eroxx, Oct 18, 2010.

1. eroxx macrumors 6502a

I am a fairly new (and happy) mac user, but one thing I still can't figure out - switching programs/windows. If I minimize something (let's say a picture in preview) and am using the internet, and press command/tab to get to preview, why does the picture not maximize?

Also, is there an easy way to get two windows to fit side by side, taking up half the screen each??

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Command-Tab will only cycle between open apps, but will not open minimized windows. That's by design.
    There is no native ability in Mac OS X to tile windows.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

But someone must have developed an add-on for that by now. Search the Internet.

4. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

Better Touch Tool will let you have windows side by side like Windows (Action Setting) by dragging them to the side OR you can do it a better way, I think, the Mac way (Gestures) with just a 3 finger Swipe Left or Right. Also you can adjust the the sizes, I use a 60/40 percent on the screen.
    I find there is no need to minimize apps on a Mac just to switch to a different app. Try setting up Expose˙to switch between apps, I use the hot corners, but if you like the keyboard better use the F keys, arrow keys and enter.

Attached Files:

5. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry I'm not sure I understand how to do this with gestures (no 3rd party app needed) ... ?? Thanks

6. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

The very first word in my last post was a link to Better Touch Tool. Use the 2 screen captures to set it up for side by side windows. If you have a macbook set it up for a Touch pad, if you have a Magic Mouse or Magic Touch pad set it up for that.

7. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

What I didn't understand is you when you said: "Or you can do it a better way, the MAC way .." -- I'm assuming that's NOT using bettertouchtool?

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, he meant instead of dragging the windows to the edge of the screen, not instead of BetterTouchTool. There's no native way to do this at all, but that's not a big deal with other solutions work well.

jW