Help with Express and Extreme set up?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jedi5, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

I had started this thread earlier today about no internet. I unplugged Express and everything was working fine.

I now want to run both Express and Extreme but I keep running into problems I think. I'm using Extreme as my router and Express to extend my network to all floors.

I keep getting a "Double NAT" error with Extreme and with Express, the error I get is "extend network" and "wireless network". With express, it also fluctuates between 0-1 clients (is that normal?).

All my lights are green, I have no amber lights on the actual units or on Airport Utility. I have wireless throughout the whole house so while I want to fix the errors, the I also don't want to mess anything up and be without internet again.

Thoughts?

2. rworne macrumors 6502

So you are not running an Ethernet cable to the APE?

I run my network with Bridged mode on. This gives my wired and wireless networks the same IP address range (and avoids the double-NAT problem).

I have not tried using any of them as a router though. I am considering replacing the Westell that's choking under the load of devices here with an AP Extreme once I can be arsed to go out and run some CAT-5 to the ONT outside.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You need to use bridge mode on the extender.....It is a router after all....Check the config screen of the plugin.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I would hold the reset on the Express at this point. Configure all over and make sure it is Extending a Network and that the network is your Extreme.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Starting again is good, as the walk through should identify what's required here

6. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

The router is located in my basement office, connected to the modem and hard wired to my iMac. The Express is located on the 2nd floor to extend or strengthen my network. I ran ethernet cable from basement to express.

Since I was having problems this morning, I went ahead and reset both Express and Extreme and just started over.

macman, what is the "extender", the express or extreme?

so if i understand you guys, on my extreme router, i should change the settings to bridged mode, correct?

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The plug in Express is your extender.

8. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Unless I misunderstood, here is what I did:

Express : extend network
    Extreme: bridge

With that setup, I lost my internet connection.

I'm guessing I miss understood?

9. simply amazing macrumors member

you can try this if you want to try the wireless route:
    http://www.onemoretap.com/2011/08/15/marrying-airport-extreme-airport-express-wds/

i have the extreme and the express, as well, but i didn't have luck when i first tried to set them up. i have my extreme hardwired into the crappy FIOS actiontec (2 floors up) and I tried using the express as a wireless extender. the problem i was coming across, was that when i configured the express, it would steal the signal from the extreme and i never got around to trying to figure it out. i was hoping that link would help, but haven't had time to try it. so if it works for you, report back!

10. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

I have tried every suggestion on here.
    I've googled and for the life of me, I can't figure this out.

Internet good with Extreme.
    No internet when I try to connect Express and Extreme.

Feel like chucking an airport out the window.

11. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I would be interested to see your speeds without Cat5 to the Express.

12. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

13. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I use an AEBS in my basement as my main router. I use an AE in the upstairs bedroom at the opposite corner of the house as an extender. You do NOT need to run a cable to the AE for it to act as extender! I spent some time on the phone with Apple support and they assumed I didn't have ethernet running to it when I did. They explained to me that extending a network is done wirelessly.

1 - Set up the AEBS to create a wireless network. An AE can only extend a network created by an AEBS.

2 - Plug in the AE to AC power but don't connect anything to its ethernet or usb ports. Find it in Airport Utility and set it up to extend the network created by the AEBS.

Done.

14. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Tried that, doesn't work.
    That's how I had AEX setup the first time and it worked like a charm.
    Now I had to change the settings from "Extend Network" to "Create Network".
    For whatever reason, it's *sorta* working now.

While I have internet, it still isn't where it should.
    My wifi on my MBP is off/on. One minute I'll have a connection and the next minute it's gone.
    Something still isn't right, I just can't figure out what the problem is.

15. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Did you take out the ethernet cable that was running to the Airport Express? If you leave that in, you will have a magical mystery tour of network problems. Nothing can be plugged in to the express.

16. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

my understanding is that you connect AEX to your network both wirelessly and wired. I have mine connected with Cat6 going from AEBS to AEX.
    That's how I had previously for about a year with no problems.
    Now it's just a cluster f* of problems I'm having.