Help with extending my wireless!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bootsie, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

How can I extend my wireless network?

I am having issues getting a good wireless connection in the basement where I spend most of my time, so I would like to extend the range of my network. I am currently using a linksys router upstairs, it is wired to the desktop in our home, so it cannot be moved down to the middle level of the house which would be ideal.

I was hoping that an Airport Express would be a good option, but it sounds like my main router would have to be an Airport Extreme. I would rather have something like the airport express because when I move (live with my parents and should be moving out fairly soon) I would be able to use it as my main router because I will not need a wired connection. I do not want to spend $70-100 and only have an extender that I will not be able to use when I move.

What are my options? I am going crazy with this crappy connection in the basement!

2. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

You should be able to extend most 802.11N networks. The requirement that the main network be an extreme (or express) was from when WDS was required (802.11G).

3. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Ok so this is the model of router that I am using... Linksys WRT120N. So I
    should be able to extend this network?

That would be awesome! Thanks

4. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

I haven't tried that router, but extending 802.11n is part of the spec, so it should work.

5. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Sweet! Thanks a bunch! If anyone else can confirm if it works with this router that would be great. :)

6. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

It should be no problem. When you set up the Express in Airport Utility, it gives you the option of creating new network, joing current network or extending current network. Then it will ask for name, security type and password for network you are wanting to extend. Fill out required fields and it should take care of itself.

7. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Ok I went ahead and bought the express, but it is not working.

I have it all set up and it can join my current network, but when I try to set it to extend my current network and it prompts me to choose the network. I click on my network and it just says "This network cannot be extended" it does not give me a reason or anything...

What am I doing wrong? This is driving me crazy!!!

8. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I thought that it says on Apple's site that it can only extend networks from other Apple routers?

9. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Return the Airport. Buy a WRT160N and install dd-wrt on it and configure it to extend the network. Or sell your WRT120N and buy an Airport Extreme. I had a WRT120N, but it would randomly shut off, so Cisco replaced it with a WRT160N, which has overheating issues. Call Cisco/Linksys and tell them that your router randomly shuts off, and that you have flashed the firmware, etc... Have them replace your WRT120N with a WRT160N and sell the new (actually, probably refurbished) WRT160N

11. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Thanks, this is a big help!

The funny thing about my router is that it works fine unless the desktop that it is connected to through ethernet is actually on. If the desktop stays off the router works fine for weeks or months, but if the desktop gets turned on the router starts to randomly drop the connection. I hate this stupid thing, but I tried like 5 different routers without any better results when I was shopping for this one. The desktop is my parents main computer, if it were mine I would probably throw it out the window, but that is not really an option haha, so I need to find a solution that is both wired and wireless and doesn't cost too much money.

12. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

The router is out of warranty, so they will not help me. Now I don't know what to do....