Help with external backup HD selection for large music collection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by peterl7777, May 18, 2010.

1. peterl7777 macrumors newbie

Hi I am new here. I have just come over to using Mac from PC I have a Mac book Pro 15" i7 with 4gig ram 500gig HD. I want to do away with my CD collection(approx 1000 CDS and also import my vinyl album collection approx 2000 albums. As yet I have not imported my CD collection into itunes and also need to import my vinyl via a high quality turntable i.e non usb (normal old fashioned RCA plugged)with a intermediate breakout box/preamp to get the best sound quality. I need to have a double backup of my music so I can physically get rid of my CDS and vinyl and know that in the event of an external HD backup failure that I will not be left without my music collection. As yet I have no idea what amount of storage this collection will up needing if I want to save it in a format that has good sound reproduction ? lossless ?MPEG4 etc. My questions are do I save the music thru garage band? or a dedicated breakout box that connects the turntable to my MBP or do it via PC then convert to Mac format music file and import it to itunes? What external drive do I buy. I run a wireless all in one modem router i.e Billion 7404VNPX The La Cie 4big quadra RAid in 4 or 6TB is what I thought might fit the bill given that I want storage for the long term and do not need wireless backup ongoing daily like the apple 2TB time capsule HD. I want to run a RAID system so I can rest assured I will not get caught out and in turn be future proofed . Please any advice/help would be greatly appreciated THANKS Peter

2. peterl7777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Please someone help /advise me

Please :) someone give me some advice I am really needing help in deciding how to tackle my situation A BIG thanks for any replies Peter :)

3. peterl7777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Please someone offer some advice

Is there anyone have any advice at all. PLEASE thanks Peter

4. j0nheck macrumors newbie

First--welcome.

I can't comment on audio codecs, but certainly recommend something above 320kbs if you're looking to preserve the quality--go lossless (ala ogg vorbis or flac) if you want.

As far as external drives, I am EXTREMELY happy with my recent purchase from OWC, their firewire drives are excellent.

I'd particularly recommend a redundant RAID 1 solution, of which OWC has a few option, here, or here.

Many people seem to like the solutions Drobo offers, may be worth checking them out... i was scared away by the slower speeds and the horror stories of lost data.. but their support is supposed to be top notch.

Hope that helps

5. peterl7777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou for your help

Thanks jOnheck!!! I am very grateful for your reply/advice and help I rang OWC and have sorted out what I need to buy for my needs. I am going for a RAID 5 system in a 8T option with the "Merc Elite-Al Pro Qx2 8TB external drive. I was going to do as you suggested and go for a RAID 1 config. but I was told A RAID five config with this unit will be a better fool proof way to go. As far as what sort of codec to use I have gone with apple lossless so I have a perfect copy of the original source. Happy days!!! Now I have to get down with the business of transferring all my music/data/video.
    Thanks again ....Also welcome to you! Peter :)

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

7. GeeLuv macrumors newbie

Music fan here

Read your post and thanks for posting I've benefitted from it. Now what are you going to do with your CD's and Vinyl? I'd probably be interested in taking them off your hands.