Help with external display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kenzembo1, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

Ok, so I bought a 24" Apple LED display for my macbook pro for home use and I'm having some problems...

- I can't seem to get my peripherals to work properly. I have a wireless Bluetooth keyboard and mighty mouse and for some odd reason, the volume controls and play/pause, back/forward functions won't work on my keyboard with itunes or anywhere else for that matter. The keyboard does active expose and dashboard and I can type with it and my mouse seems to work flawlessly.

- My Apple remote doesn't seem to work at all. It fails to activate Front Row and won't function with itunes.

- I'm also having problems opening applications. I have to force quit itunes and physically turn my macbook off then on again and sync my iphone to open itunes...what a mess! Also, when I open system preferences and then try to go into either my display settings or keyboard settings to fix the above mentioned problems, I'm confronted with the dreaded beach ball of death! I have to then force quit system preferences.

- Lastly, for some reason it won't let me shutdown or restart my macbook...instead, I have to turn it off manually by holding down the power button.

I just got my display last night and I've been trying to get these issues fixed for the last day now. I love the screen but was really hoping that it would be a lot easier to use (since it's specifically made to use with the newer MBP's) but it's looking like this setup is more trouble than it's worth! Some of these issues are very frustrating coming from someone who previously owned an imac and moved to this setup thinking it would be similar and give me the option for portability. Has anyone encountered any of these issues with your cinema displays? I'm becoming very frustrated and would appreciate any advice you can provide. I'm not a 'newbe' but I am technically challenged at times. Thank you guys in advance!! :apple:

-Ken

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I can't help you much, but just to straighten things out; you have a 13" alu macbook pro, with snow leopard? I just assume this. Correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am as you said nothing about it :D).

The problems occurred after you bought the screen. And they still occur when the screen is disconnected, or does it always happen whether the screen is attached or not?

The remote might just be out of battery. (mine held for only one year).

3. Kenzembo1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes - I have a new 13" aluminum unibody MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard. The problem happened after I bought the display and occurs when I use my computer in 'clamshell' mode. When I unplug my Macbook and use it by itself, it works without any problems. I called Apple this afternoon and was on the phone for almost 2 hours :eek: After going through every step possible, we determined that it was a problem with my USB connection (on the display). I told the rep that I had purchased the display from the online refurb store and he said that they'll replace it without a problem...I just have to print out the shipping label that they provided (via email) and send them back my current display. It's a mess, but at least they're replacing it. I was on the phone for what seemed like forever, but Apple really does have outstanding customer service and they were able to diagnose the problem and were quick to replace the product at their expense. New monitor/display should be here next week :)