help with external drive (kinda hurry if u can)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by greenbreadmmm, Aug 28, 2007.

1. greenbreadmmm macrumors regular

ok so i just got the wd my book pro. its 250 gb. im trying to partition it so that 175 is hfs journaled ( do i want journaled) and the rest i want to be ntfs. im in disc utitlity right now. i have it set as two partitions, how do i set the other to ntfs for windows, or do i only partition the mac one on osx and do the other one windows? if so how do i do that. im kind of lost please help.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

OS X doesn't do NFTS.

So you have to do it on a Windows box.

Yes you want journaling turned on.

3. greenbreadmmm thread starter macrumors regular

but if i click 2 partitions wont it format the other partition now as well? which wouldnt be in ntfs

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No. The other will be unformatted. And again, OS X doesn't format ANYTHING as NTFS. It can only do HFS+, UFS, and FAT32.

5. AENAON macrumors member

AENAON

Look, theoretically u can do this:
    Make 2 partitions using the Disk utility, and format the one of them as HFS+ and leave the second as is, unformatted, then use a windows box and format the 2nd partition as NTFS
    But thats in theory, in practice when u hook up that 2 partition disk on windows, widows wont see anything in it and ask you to format it, all of it, dont!
    You need to use a program like MacDrive in windows to make them "see" the HFS+ partition and then move one formatting the 2nd partition as NTFS

but! In order to confuse you more :p u have to think first, do you really need an NTFS partition? the only advantage would be the ability to put files in it that are larger than 2GBs per file. And Im talking about the situatiation of having one single file thats its size is larger than 2GBs in size. And thats almost never a limitation, even in the raaare event that you have such a file, you can always split it in 2GB zip/rar files

But then again! the by faaaar best way to do this is making one huge HFS+ partition, harnessing all its benefits, and then when u need to hook it up to a windows box, use MacDrive for windows to access it asif it was an NTFS dive :)

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

4GB.

And no, Windows shouldn't want to reformat the whole thing.
    Otherwise BootCamp would be a spectacular failure.

7. AENAON macrumors member

AENAON

No the number is 2GB, ive been an unaware victim of that limitation a few times till i figured it out

The strange thing is that in windows u cant format a FAT32 partition more than 32GBS, but in Disk Utility u can, the even stranger is that that "Dik Utility formated FAT32 partion larger than 32GBs" is actually fullly usable in windows (!)

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No.. the FAT32 single file size limit is 4GB. You're thinking of FAT16.

And the reason behind the second thing is that Microsoft artificially crippled FAT32 formatiung to encourage people to move to NTFS. There's no REAL reason that you cannot format beyond 32GB partition.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes i 2nd that. fat32 is 4gb.

M$ just realised that they made a ****** format and no want you to use their still ****** NTFS, they should use ZFS or something..but nooo