Help with external hard drive recommendation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Iplaywithmacs, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Iplaywithmacs macrumors newbie

Hello there, i'm new to this forum but it seems like a good one (have been lurking for a little while!).
    I currently have a G3 and a G4 and use my macs for recording music. Problems with my G4 have meant going back to my G3 (Until I can afford to upgrade completely) but have run out of hard drive space.
    Basically i'm trying to get an external hard drive for my G3 but the problem is that i'm only on OS9 on this computer and it is not connected to the internet so I need to try and find something that is compatible with the OS and will come with drivers (rather than having to download them) if indeed drivers are needed.
    I'm not too fussed about the size of the hard drive (anything between 20 and 100GB) is fine by me but my searches haven't been very successful as I can't seem to fulfil all this criteria, can anyone help! :confused:
    Cheers
    Matt

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

You don't need drivers for an external HD. You'll only need to reformat it to whatever the file format of OS9 is :) Should be no problem.

3. Iplaywithmacs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. It's just whilst looking on the specs of some of them(on Amazon and Play etc..) it said that drivers were not needed for OSX but they would be needed for 9 as it wouldn't automatically recognise it?