help with external HD that seems to have broken files/directories

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by njudah, Apr 16, 2008.

1. njudah macrumors newbie

hello

I have an external hard drive that's worked without any real problems for a while now (2 years). it is a 250 gig drive in a tvisto case. I usually run DiskUtility's verify function once a week and it seemed fine.

Yesterday I needed to create a new folder on the external drive and suddenly was getting a strange error message saying the filename was "too long" (it was 8 characters!). I ran Disk Utility and it indicated the volume needed repair, so , foolishly, I hit "repair".

First, it wiped out my custom drive icon - no big deal. But then when I went to click on some of the files (most of them are video files) the wrong videos would be played - more accurately, clicking on an AVI might play part of a VOB file from a DVD image I'd made, or play nothing at all. Some files are fine.

I'm not sure exactly HOW this happened, or why running Disk Utility would make things worse, but it has. It has been suggested I run Disk Warrior on the drive, but at 100 bucks, it's almost cheaper for me to buy a new 250 gig drive (although I'd lose a ton of video and backup files that I have on the existing drive).

I can't believe this drive is a total loss, so I'd like to know what options, diskwarrior or no, I have to fix this.

2. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Go to alsoft.com and take a look at their disk utility program:

DiskWarrior.

A lot of people use it, when their HDD gets out of whack.

3. njudah thread starter macrumors newbie

diskwarrior is a pos on the latest macbook

as it turned out you cant boot from macbook in the latest diskwarrior, I ended up using my old mac...funny thing when the drive booted into the old mac the files were fine

anyway all is well, um, THANKS FOR HTE ADVICE.....