Help with external HDD with AEBS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mrbrightside623, Apr 12, 2010.

1. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

Hey All, Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet since I didn't seem to see it when I searched. Well I have an external hdd and want to hook it up to my AEBS. I hooked it up and it just doesn't show up in time machine. This drive is my time machine back up drive that I have been using just through USB but since I just recently got an AEBS I thought I'd try to hook my hdd to it. It shows up in Airport Utility and file sharing is enabled and all. Can someone please help me get it working?
    Thanks in Advance!

-Tony

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Perhaps it needs a bit more bus power to spin the hdd?

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

Can you mount the drive in Finder while it's connected to the AEBS? If so, mount it and see if it's selectable in Time Machine.

Also, you said that you've been using it for Time Machine backups through USB, but just to let you know you will not be able to continue your backups wirelessly. Time Machine backs up to NAS differently than to hard drives connected directly. It will create a .sparsebundle image file and back up to that instead of copying files directly. You will need to begin your backup from scratch.

4. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

Power supply is connected to it. There is enough power.

Understandable that I will have to start over. But I plan on keeping the older backups in there just in case so I can restore through USB. As for it in finder... I didn't see it in there so I don't know how to mount it ~_~. So new at this and its confusing me. I had my printer initially setup through the AEBS USB port and it could only allow my mac to print... My windows xp laptop couldn't print through it. It is getting frustrating for me >_<

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you open a Finder window, you should see your AEBS attached hard drive listed in the left hand column under Shared. You may need to enable that in your Finder preferences though. Make sure that Connected Servers is checked under Shared in the Sidebar tab:

http://osxhelp.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/finder-sidebar-preferences.png

Do you have a second hard drive that you can test with the AEBS?

Also, for your printer, have you installed Bonjour for Windows on your Windows machine? I believe I had to install that in order to get my printer to work when it was attached to my Time Capsule.

6. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

Will try the finder thing. Still new to this in a way so I don't know terms and locations of things all so well. As for bonjour for windows. I have it installed in both and still having issues.

-Tony