Help with factory restore OSX Mountain lion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by interzone92, Oct 10, 2013.

1. interzone92, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

interzone92 macrumors newbie

hi there,

i own a 2013 macbook pro retina and i was planning on restoring it to factory settings (which i have done before in the past) for my son to use.

Now something which was simple before has caused me all sorts of the bother this evening. I started by restarting my macbook and holding cmd + r which then boots me into the disk utilities screen proceeded to erase all data from my disk and re install mountain lion.

Now i just left my laptop running while it was re installing and for some reason when i came back the screen was just showing a flashing folder with a question mark on it??? so i proceed to restart and try to get back into the disk utilities screen holding cmd + r but every time i try that i get put into "Internet Recovery" no idea what this is but i have tried leaving it running and nothing happens. Just a screen with a spinning globe??

I honestly dont know what to do now, it feels like ive bricked a perfectly good macbook from a pretty standard procedure? is there any way for me to get back into the disk utilities screen instead of the internet recovery? im new to the whole mac scene so all help will be appreciated

thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It does not sound like you did anything wrong, but it does look like maybe the flash drive up and died on you.

Try a command-option-r boot (hold all three at once) to get back to Internet Recovery. Once you see the recovery screen start Disk Utility and see if you can see the internal flash drive at all in Disk Util. If you can try a repair disk and see what you get.

Sometimes these drives are on the edge of failing and the stress of a reinstall is the final blow.