Help with family set up

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bwfc0907, Apr 13, 2016.

1. bwfc0907 macrumors regular

just bought the 32gb new AppleTV.

We have 4 of us with an Apple Eco system in the house.

What's the best way to get games, Apple Music, apps on screen set up for us individually or do we have to just have one family account? We have family sharing enabled for purchases.

Finally, how does YouTube work for a family as I watch sports clips and the others watch a lot of music videos so don't want our history or subscriptions cluttering each other's? Also how do you sign in to YouTube as it gives a code on screen.

Thanks

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Apple TV does not have the ability to "switch profiles" like you can do with Netflix. As with the iPad, everyone has the same login and same Apps etc. New for the iPad but only in schools can you have individual logins. Hope that comes to the iPad at some point.

So, no the Apple TV does not have what you want but they need it. Your only hope is that an App has the ability to change Profiles like you can with Netflix. But I have really only seen it with Netflix.

I think they should tie it to the iCloud ID and allow for FAST SWITCHING. But have not idea if this will every happen.

You can easily change the iTunes Account but that does not buy you much since you are already using Family Share for purchases.

3. bwfc0907 thread starter macrumors regular

I've found how we can switch accounts so we can have our own Apple Music dependant on who is using by changing iCloud account & change game centre and also iTunes (although this does nothing as we use Family Sharing). The problem is adding a password every time we switch.

Can anybody else help and answer original questions?