Help with FCPX Archiving

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jb6418, Jul 10, 2011.

1. jb6418 macrumors newbie

Hi All

I am pretty new to video editing as a whole and just started using FCPX on my new Sandy Bridge MCP and all is well and works very well for my use.

However as I now have about 10 projects and FCPX doesnt give me the option to save my files anywhere other than on the HDD, I was wondering if you can give me tips on how best to archive older projects as I cannot see an 'archive' function.

Am I best to copy the source files (video and audio) to an external disk? Or should I simply save the output file in HD?

Whilst the current video are simply being used to output to YouTube, I may want to edit them and turn them from 15 mins clips to a full 60 min DVD.

You advise is much appreciated.

Many thanks

James

2. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

I've been using the "Move Event" function to move events to an archive hard drive.

Your can also right click on a project and consolidate it to another drive when your finished.

You should be able to create Events and Projects on what ever drive you choose. I'm slightly confused why you can't seem to choose somewhere else to save them. You should see all your drives in the Events Library.

3. mBox macrumors 68020

You can move it anywhere you want, just keep the folder/project structure intact.
    I move around 4 different external drives and only once used local.
    I don't use local period but a recent acquisition from a GoProHD went unnoticed.
    After cutting a few hours I did then notice.
    Got annoyed and shut the app down to move the whole project to an external.
    Make sure the project structure is moved within the (if) current folder structure on the target drive.
    Firing FCPX will see the moved event.
    And yes you can also move events but I'm old school and used to moving stupid MXF files around due to Avids insane archaic folder/project of a mess structure :p

4. jb6418 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Guys - will look at this when I get back later this week.

Appreciate all your support and patience