Help with figuring out (local) back up solutions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mollyc, Mar 19, 2017.

1. mollyc, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017

mollyc macrumors 6502

I have a late 2012 iMac running Sierra (this will likely be updated whenever the new iMacs are released, but that shouldn't affect anything). I have a 1TB Fusion drive that I try to keep no more than an average half full.

I am a serious amateur photographer and use LR, PSCC, and Bridge almost daily. My primary hobby is digital scrapbooking, so I don't really archive photos the way most people do since I am always looking for a photo to scrapbook.

My current setup is a 2Big 6TB LaCie drive. I have this partitioned as 3TB data for previous year photos and all my digital scrapbook supplies and the other 3TB partition for Time Machine. This has worked well for me for the past few years, but the LaCie drive is exceedingly slow, even though I connect through Thunderbolt. It tends to sleep at odd times and takes a bit to wake up. If it's awake it's okay, but I also use it as a scratch disk for PS, and it just tends to drag my whole system down. My computer runs much more efficiently when I have the drive turned off, but then I can't access most of my data. This drive is several years old so might be slower than what is currently available.

My husband recently bought me a Synology DS216+II. He put in two 4TB Western Digital Red drives. I've moved my photos and scrap stuff to that drive and my file access is considerably faster. I also set up a user and quota limited folder to run Time Machine there, but TM is only seeing my hard drive now and not my primary user folder on the NAS. Which means the bulk of my photos are not being backed up to TM.

My goal would be to work off the NAS as a primary external drive, but then I don't know how to actually back everything up. I'm also confused on the best setup within the NAS in terms of drive arrangement and if I should set it up as two separate drives/volumes (I like that idea so that if one drive fails I know which one it is and what data is on it), or if I should set it up as a single drive to make the most of the 8TB?

Can I use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the NAS data to my LaCie if I reformat it? I would really like to make the LaCie the lower priority drive since it is so slow (I don't know why this is, it's connected through Thunderbolt and should be fast, but like I said, it just sleeps and then takes a while to wake).

I feel like with a total of 14TB of drive space I am making this way more complicated than it needs to be, but since I can't get TM to recognize my main user drive on the NAS as something to back up I just don't know what to do. I have no knowledge of servers, and my husband uses a PC so he really can't help me for this.

Thank you for any insight. I posted something in the Synology forums but never heard anything, and most of the info there is way over my head anyway.

2. mollyc thread starter macrumors 6502