Help with File Sharing on two Macs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HXGuy, Aug 26, 2010.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I just setup my new iMac (coming from a PowerMac G5). There is another PowerMac G5 on the same network that is still in use.

With my old setup, I was able to access the other PowerMac computer including all files...I found see, copy, change everything on the other computer. I don't recall how I initially did it but it worked great.

I can't seem to duplicate it on the new iMac. On the PowerMac still in use, it says that Admins are supposed to have total access but my access seems very limited. It will only work for folders that I specifically add in File Share and even then it says some items are locked and can't be modified when I open them on my iMac.

It seems as if I am not gaining access as an Admin but as a regular user. What am I doing wrong here?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Are you talking about User folders? Because that is limited to the actual user, and you'd have to change all permissions recursively down into their folder.

3. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

Not sure exactly myself.

Like I said, I don't know how I did it on my old computer but I was able to see EVERYTHING on the other networked computer and I never went in to enable each folder one by one. I was able to see all hard drives, the desktop, everything and had access to open and change any file.

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

What I'm asking is what folders don't you have access to? I get it that you had access to everything before, but things change etc. Let's find out what you can't get at.

5. advres Guest

advres

6. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

Right now, I have access to nothing because nothing has been added to the Shared Folder list in File Sharing. However, my old Mac still has access, it's strange.

Let me see if I can try and clear it up. First let's make sure we know which computer is what. There are three computers...

iMac (new computer)
    PowerMac (old computer being replaced by iMac)
    Lavi (G5 computer that is remaining on the network)

What I just did was try to start over so I went into Lavi and shut off File Sharing. The shared Lavi computer disappeared from list on both the iMac and PowerMac. I then reenabled it but didn't add any folders/drives to the Shared Folders list. The computer Lavi popped up as visible on both the iMac and PowerMac.

Clicking on Lavi from the PowerMac brings up all the drives and folders that are on the Lavi computer, like always.
    Clicking on the Lavi computer from the iMac says Connection Failed. If I go to Finder -> Go -> Connect to Server and type in Lavi.local in the addrss, it prompts me for a password and then after I enter it it says "Connection failed. There are no shares available or you are not allowed to access them on the server Lavi.local"

What gives? Why is it that one computer on the network can access Lavi and the other can't?

7. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

Here is a screen shot from each computer. The PowerMacs says "Sharepoint" as the kind while the iMac says "Folder". Why is that?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

Holy crap I figured it out!

I went to the shared Lavi server and clicked "Connect As" and then logged in as the user name of the Lavi computer and voila all the folders and hard drives appeared and I have full access to it all. I can't believe I couldn't find this online anywhere...is it not a known thing?

Tried it in reverse as well...on the Lavi computer I went and Connected As the iMac and sure enough, all the stuff on the iMac is now accessible on Lavi. This is great.

9. advres Guest

advres

ummmm.... I told you that in my picture.

10. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

Well now that I was able to do it, what it says in your picture makes sense. :D

I saw that when you posted it but I says "If you log into you computer with it's user name and password..."

I though it was saying if I log into that computer with my (your) user name and password...and that's what I kept doing and it was working. Should say "If you log into that computer with it's user name and password..." :)