Help With Final Cut Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joemamma55, Apr 29, 2010.

1. joemamma55 macrumors newbie

I've been doing some editing, nothing to intense, i'm just a beginner. Although, I find it that every time I add something into the timeline I have to render it. Is there any way I can make it so I don't have to render every time?

If it helps, I'm just using files that are downloaded from the internet, nothings being captures. I'm using .mp4 & .mp3 files.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Reading the Manual will clarify some things.

FCP and almost every other editing application doesn't like compressed video and audio, which you have provided with .mp4 and .mp3 files.

I don't know the settings of the source files, like resolution and frame rate, but use MPEG Streamclip to transcode the video to .mov files using the DV (SD material), Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC - HD video) or ProRes (HD video) codec.

And transcode the audio either to .aiff or .wav.

Then import again, and set the SEQUENCE SETTINGS similar to the video and audio.

And again, read the manual, it provides a helluva of information about this, you have just spent a grand on that piece of software.

If you still have problems, please post the specific settings you used for the sequence and what format and codec and resolution the video and audio use.

Also MRoogle will find you plenty of threads about "using videos from the www in Final Cut Pro".

Even though some might get annoyed of reading this, the thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at http://mroogle.*************/MRoogleSmall.gif, since that question may have been asked several times?

3. joemamma55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I used compressor to change the format, and it ended up being converted into a 800mb file which is only 3 minutes. I converted it to DV NTSC. Is this normal? because I have 2hr movies that are under 800mbs

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, that is normal. One minute of DV encoded video takes up approx. 226MB, one hour takes up 13GB.

Those two hour movies use a different codec, which is not meant for editing, thus the need for editing applications to have their own. DV or AIC are meant for editing, they store every frame for example, which those 800MB movies don't do. But that is necessary to edit frame by frame.

Look into Appendix C of the FCP 7 manual (page 1929) to learn a bit more about video formats. And MRoogle will give you links to other threads too.
    In the last 18 months I have participated in a few, so if you search and use my username as an extra search term, you will find plenty of threads. Also Lethal Wolfe, Keith Pratt, spice weasel, bigbossbomb and matteusclement are user names associated with such threads.