Help with finding white slim case that stays white

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Nhwhazup, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Okay - here I am still in search mode for a white slim case that covers all sides, doesn't affect the screen protector and doesn't start discoloring within a month.

I was a big fan of the Noot cases but am starting to see some yellowing within a few weeks. I'm so disappointed as I really thought these cases were going to work for me.

In the past I was a happy camper with the Case Crown glider. Then they changed the deign for the iPhone 5 and now the front interferes with the top and won't work with my screen protector.

I have the white Power Support Air Jacket on order and should have it on Tuesday.

So can anyone recommend a white plastic or polycarbonate case that will meet my needs?

2. Prospekt macrumors regular

I'm using a white elago outfit for the past month and absolutely no discoloration so far. I'd recommend it!

3. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

This might sound cheesy but the best case I have ever gotten for my phone was the skech case at those mall booths. Its thin, has felt lining, does not affect screen protectors, covered on all sides, and is thin. Fits all my criteria. You should go check them out

I think casecrown cases are very similar to the skech cases too.

4. Fabienne, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

I bought an Otterbox Defender, with a white outer skin. I liked it but it absorbed grime and was greying around the edges, the buttons, all the places which rub anything within a week! I tried mild soapy water which didn't work, hard harsh detergent, didn't budge. I tried the magic eraser which works on everything else, not this time.

I wrote to Otterbox and they kindly replaced it. I got one with a grey outer skin and a white hard inner skin because they don't have a white outer skin with black inner hard case model any more!

They are $50 each so I am not real live and let live about the fact that they won't clean up. I am sure that the best minds in the business are on this but until then....

As for your problem in particular, take a look at Switch Easy. I have had some very good cases from them and they are quite reasonable.

5. Nhwhazup thread starter macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I did the same with my Noot cases - tried everything from bleach to Polident. Don't get me wrong - they are not like gross yellow but just starting to get a bit of tint on the back corners. My husband couldn't notice it but seeing it change in just a few weeks is just a sign of the icky yellowing to come. I did some research on how to clean TPU and the material absorbs dirt and grime easily but not so apt to let it go, no matter how you try to clean it.

So I'm off to find the best white plastic or polycarbonate case I can that meets all or most of my needs.

6. Cosmos01 macrumors member

The id America Liquid case fits your criteria:

http://www.idamericany.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29850

It is a TPU case that offers a good amount of protection and is still really slim. It comes in many variations of white including Matte White which is a little transparent and Solid White which appears to be glossy and not transparent. I would go with the Solid White due to the fact that it is not transparent, yellowing will most likely not occur. The best part about the case is that it covers all sides as well as having a lay on the table design, unlike the slim Noot.

I think I'm going to order one soon!

7. Nhwhazup thread starter macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Please report back on how you like this case when you get it. For me at this point, I think I'm going to stick with the hard plastic type cases. I think although I'll be compromising on the all around front coverage (the hard plastic cases all pretty much leave the top and bottom open), I think the only way to avoid the yellowing is to stay clear of the soft rubber or TPU.

8. MacBoyFanatic macrumors newbie

Yellowing of LifeProof Cases?

I am getting ready to move from an OtterBox Defender to a LifeProof Fre for my iPhone 5. I have read that iPhone 4/4S users have often experienced the cases yellowing. Is it worth buying a white case http://bit.ly/T0oVxO and risking the discoloration, or to just go with a black case?

9. Nhwhazup thread starter macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I can't speak for the Life Proof cases as I've never owned them.

Right now I have the Power Support Air Jacket in white on my phone. So far I really like it. I hope it stays white and doesn't yellow. If it doesn't work out - I'm going to a totally plastic case - the Elago Slim. It doesn't have all the features I'm really looking for, but I can't deal with a crappy looking discolored.

10. Cosmos01 macrumors member

I ended up ordering the id America Liquid in Matte White TPU instead of the Solid White TPU so I can see the back of the white iPhone 5 with a frosted look to the back (glossy on the sides). Hopefully yellowing won't occur since id America is a reputable company, but with TPU one can never be sure. It looks really nice though so I'm hoping for the best! It should be delivered next week.