Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyedoc_00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
New to macs. I have downloaded firefox, and it has put a firefox icon on my desktop and in the finderI Also, I have a firefox 1.0.7.dmg icon on my desktop. How do I get the program to run and do i have to keep these 2 icons on my desktop?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
You don't have to keep any icons on your desktop for Firefox to run.

Double-click the .dmg file. That will open a disk image that contains the application.

Drag the application icon to the Applications folder in your sidebar. That will copy it into that folder. Once the copy is finished, you can eject the Firefox disk image by clicking the eject button next to it into the sidebar. From there, you may delete anything you've downloaded for it.

Double-click the Firefox icon in the Applications folder to start it and you may right-click on the dock icon to keep it there. If you'd like it to be set as your primary browser, you need to start Safari and go into its preferences to set that.

eyedoc_00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Thank you. I have done what you said. When I open firefox from the apps. menu, it put the icon back on my desktop and created a place in the sidebar that has an eject button next to it. Am I doing something wrong?
bousozoku said:

Double-click the .dmg file. That will open a disk image that contains the application.

Drag the application icon to the Applications folder in your sidebar. That will copy it into that folder. Once the copy is finished, you can eject the Firefox disk image by clicking the eject button next to it into the sidebar. From there, you may delete anything you've downloaded for it.

Double-click the Firefox icon in the Applications folder to start it and you may right-click on the dock icon to keep it there. If you'd like it to be set as your primary browser, you need to start Safari and go into its preferences to set that.

eyedoc_00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Update.
Ok, now i have gotten rid of the icon in the sidebar. But when I open firefox, it is still putting an icon on my desktop. The icon stays even after I close firefox.

rogerw

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2004
west sussex UK
bousozoku said:

worked for me

peterparker

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Houston
eyedoc_00 said:
Thank you. I have done what you said. When I open firefox from the apps. menu, it put the icon back on my desktop and created a place in the sidebar that has an eject button next to it. Am I doing something wrong?

Sounds like you put the .dmg file in Applications. What you want to drag to Applications is the Firefox file that is inside the .dmg (disk image). The place in the Finder sidebar is the disk image being mounted. The eject button is to unmount it. You only need the disk image mounted to get the Firefox application file out of it, and then you can eject it.

eyedoc_00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Thank you

peterparker said:
Sounds like you put the .dmg file in Applications. What you want to drag to Applications is the Firefox file that is inside the .dmg (disk image). The place in the Finder sidebar is the disk image being mounted. The eject button is to unmount it. You only need the disk image mounted to get the Firefox application file out of it, and then you can eject it.

Thank you. you were right. I put the .dmg file in the apps. foldder. I redownloaded everything and draged the firefox file into the apps. folder and now everything is working.

Thanks to all who responded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.