help with firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by igoodew, Oct 23, 2008.

1. igoodew macrumors newbie

hi everyone,
    My problem is that i cant seem to login to facebook, my hotmail, and i cant seem to download somethings. I have looked all over the internet for a solution but i cant find anything. Anything would help.
    Thanks

2. igoodew thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont know because i deleted it, and now i cant download it.

3. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

What happens when you try to log in to facebook etc... ? "Can't do it" doesn't really help diagnose the problem.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

:confused: why would you delete Safari? its a perfectly fine default browser. where not talking about IE here. i too felt i had to download Firefox as soon as i got my Mac. now i just use Safari as it integrated so well with OS X and Firefox for websites that arent standardised. plus i find Firefox to be slow to load… i want my browser to pop up instantly.

you havent deleted Safari you just deleted the app. download and install it again http://www.apple.com/safari/download/.

as for Firefox. try clearing all your private data from the Tools menu and relaunch it.

5. igoodew thread starter macrumors newbie

i click to login and nothing happens. if i look close at the bottom right i see for a second a little blip of what should be loading, but nothing on the screen changes

6. igoodew thread starter macrumors newbie

i have been looking around for a couple hours tonight and i tried both. as for downloading safari again nothing comes up. when i go to your link it all comes up but the box on the left is left blank.

7. igoodew thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your help so far, but with that a box pops up says
    "The download cannot be saved because an unknown error occurred.

Please try again."

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

download WebKit (nightly versions of Safari) and install it. then see if you can work the internets.

9. igoodew thread starter macrumors newbie

im not sure i understand the purpose of that. i downloaded it and it told me i dont have safari downloaded

10. igoodew thread starter macrumors newbie

a couple months ago i decided i wanted to have both safari and firefox and it did let me download it. but after i tried to do the install from the disk image it told me i wasnt up to date. i just bought my laptop this summer and i have done every update it offers me. sorry if my wording is weird im a rookie

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ok i only have Safari 3.1.1 for some reason. maybe someone who has Safari 3.1.2 can zip Safari.app in Applications and then attach it to their post. igoodew can then download it, unzip it and put it in his Applications folder and Safari will work again.

12. igoodew thread starter macrumors newbie

13. igoodew thread starter macrumors newbie

14. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

this happned to my friend, I did not know what to do, i told her to do a restart, then fixed permissions do another restart and somehow that fixed it all.... don't know if that will work for you, or if it was just pure coincidence that it worked for my friend's Mb, but i guess worth try?

15. igoodew thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i understand the restart. but "fixed permissions" i dont understand.

16. miiles macrumors regular

To "fix permissions" go to Disk Utility, click on your Hard Drive, and click repair permissions.

17. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yup he beat me to it....

18. igoodew thread starter macrumors newbie

we have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow thank all you guys! i worked on this garbage for over 2 hours. guess i know where to go next time

19. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

20. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

so what i told you worked? if so great glad to be able to help someone here, it's usually me who's getting all the help....:D