Help with Firewall "incoming connections"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by msw123307, Jul 28, 2009.

1. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I have my firewall set to "allow specific services and applications."

I noticed today that DashboardClient, System Preferences, and a program called "ScreenSaverEngine." Are all set to allow..

Typically i'd just want itunes so I can use simplify media, and safari/firefox because i think it has to be enabled.

What are the parameters for allowing a program incoming access in general - i seem to get asked it now that I have this option checked and wanted to make sure? I find it odd that i have some system utilities on my list set to allow - is it just me?

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Honestly, I just disable the mac firewall altogether and rely on my router to handle firewall issues.

3. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I suppose that's an option, i just dont know why system utilities are included in this list. I like to limit it so that any lesser known programs can't just accept any connections.

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

dashboardclient is dashboard. Some dashboard apps access the internet like weather widgets, etc

system prefs also probably uses the internet for something..doesn't it uplink with the internet to set the time?

screensaverengine is the screensaver. Some like the RSS feed one use the internet.

You can disable these if you want, but idk how that will affect your system.

5. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

i guess maybe i'm just confused on incoming vs outgoing.

for example, if i had a screensaver - wouldn't it just be outgoing, i.e. going to get the information? no one would be connecting to me to get information.

im just wondering why these apps are requesting incoming access. or in the case of screensavers or dashboard - just giving themselves access

6. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

How are they going to get the information back in?

If I have a weather app, it needs to draw the weather from the internet. Sure it makes the initial outgoing connection, but the data that it receives is considered incoming.

This is why almost all firewalls allow unlimited outgoing connections (you usually initiate them yourself, or an approved app does), and limit incoming connections (potential rogue connections from the internetz, not initiated by you necessarily).