Help with first apple computer purchase

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by firstapple, Oct 27, 2007.

1. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Hey all...

I have been a windows user for years (Sorry). I am looking into getting my first apple computer. I took my first step withy apple by getting and iPhone. I am now looking into the best/cheapest way to getting Apple's new OS X.

Currently I basically have a new desktop and laptop. The desktop I have works just fine, so I don't think I need to replace it, as well as the laptop. Because of this, I was thinking of getting a mac mini and using my keyboard and mouse and everything else I currently have. I was thinking I could then use whichever one I felt like. My biggest issue is does the mac mini run the Leopard OS X just as well as a iMac would? My biggest worry is not having a camera to use with iChat and photobooth. Is there a cheap camera that works with apple software/ichat? Also, what about microphone? What kind of monitors work with Mac Mini? I currently have a gateway monitor that came with the computer, would this work?

I am not a gamer or a deveolper or video editor, so RAM and HD is not too important. What do you all think? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. bradbowl macrumors member

Welcome to the Apple Family!

The answers to your specific questions first. You can use a web cam with photobooth but it MUST be Firewire. Most webcams are USB so be sure to get a firewire capable one. Any mic. will do, the iSight (now discontinued) has a built in one. Any monitor will work with a mac mini. The nice thing is that the mini has a DVI port so you can use a digital connection. If your monitor is older then you may have to use a DVI-to-VGA adapter.

Leopard will run better on the iMac since the hard drive is faster and it has a dedicated video card. But I'm sure Leopard will run fine on the mini's as well. Be sure to check out the refurb. section of the store since they have the older version mini's for pretty cheap every once in a while.

Hope this helps!

3. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Visit your local Apple store and see what takes your fancy, talk to the staff, i find them really friendly and well informed, unlike some other well known computer store staff, you should walk out with an idea in your head of your perfect set up, i feel in love with the imacs, but after much thought ended up with the MP, good luck ;)

p.s. best move i ever made, switching, never looked back :D