Help with fixing late 2008 MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarvinHC, Jul 6, 2014.

1. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I picked up for next to nothing a 'dead' MBP late 2008 15" in the hope of fixing or at least having some spare parts. Status is: Battery charges normally (most of the time), but it simply does not react to the power button. I tried to 'jump start it' (shortening the two pins on the logic board both with keyboard connected and disconnected) but with no result. As I know nothing about its history (apparently it had some charging issues now and then and in the end simply didn't power up anymore) I decided to take it apart (following ifixit guide) to see if there is any obvious liquid damage inside but also because I was quite curious to see in more detail myself how it is built.

What I found inside was a lot of dust (I wonder how much noise the fans must have made when it was still turning, there was a huge block of almost solid dust built up behind them) but from what I can tell no sign of liquid. Below you find the picture of the board (including links to high res pictures), I'd be curious if any of the pros here can tell me if there is liquid related corrosion or other obvious signs of fault so that I know if the board is indeed a write off or not.

Logic board before cleaning from both sides:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Logic board after cleaning with a soft brush:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Empty shell before cleaning:
    [​IMG]
    Keyboard and power button: Any signs of liquid damage?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Second question with regards to the superdrive: I took it out and tried it with an external USB cable (which I have not used before so I do not know with 100% certainty that the cable is fine - picture below)). Result: no reaction at all when connecting it to a Macbook. When I connected it to a windows PC it was recognized, the necessary drivers loaded etc. However when I put a DVD in it, it started spinning and trying to read it, but after 10 or 15 seconds just spat it out again. Conclusion: it is dead?
    [​IMG]

Lastly, is there any way of testing if the display is fine? There is no physical damage to it and overall the case of the Macbook is very clean for its age, but without it turning on I can't tell for sure.

Many thanks for all advice, I would really love to give this one a new life :)

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Any response from the Sleep Indicator Light?? I had one that came on only to the degree that the SIL came on and stayed on. Wound up coming to the conclusion that the GPU was probably on its way out.

If there are no signs of life at all, you might consider trying a different MagSafe board.

3. MarvinHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sleep indicator does nothing, but as said no startup at all.

What makes you thing it's the Magsafe board? (I am wondering since it charges the battery and since also with a full battery the Macbook does not start, I did not think the issue would be there)