Help with fixing what i think is a macbook...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Flunkyturtle, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

My friend has turned up with his old Macbook and says he's dropped it on the floor and now it doesn't turn on,

I was going to take it off his hands just to pull it apart and use the hard drive but i'm inclined to see if i can get it working :)

Can anyone either A. Detail possible reasons why it would no longer work after being dropped
    And B. Detail whether it would be WORTH taking it to Apple/someone to repair it etc

[​IMG]
    By flunkyturtle at 2012-04-10

2. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Apples probably gonna charge a lot to repair it. Best bet would be take it to them to find out what is wrong and try repairing yourself.

3. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

If it's out-of-warranty or out-of-warranty damage, take it to an AASP, not Apple. Worst case, you pay maybe $30 to have the issue diagnosed and then see what's wrong, what the cost is and you can decide where to go from there.

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

It no longer works because it got dropped.

:D

The drop appeared to cosmetically damage the device a lot, the screen looks as if it is barely attached to the device, all I know the ribbon cable for the display has torn an all the is broken is the screen.

Another possibility is the hard drive broke.

5. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

First thing you could try is booting off an external drive & hooking it up to an external monitor. That'll find out if the hard drive is dead and the screen. If no luck then go to an AASP & see what they quote you.

6. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

To do that, you would have to buy (as they probably don't own) a Mini DVI display adapter, which is likely to cost the same as a diagnosis at an AASP.

7. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

After 2 seconds on eBay I've seen mini DVI to DVI for £3

8. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Fair enough.

9. Flunkyturtle thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the speedy replies guys :)

Well he's said that the screen is still attached but is just bent but i'm going to have a look at it today.

I have my own iMac and a mini display port to hdmi adaptor so is there any way i could hook that up to see if its just the screen thats dead.

Think i need to have a look at it first to see what he means by "doesn't boot up properly" either way i'm having it as its a bargain even for spares lol

----------

Oh on a side note i'm based in the UK so whatever an AASAP is i doubt they have one within 20 miles ;)

10. simsaladimbamba

11. Flunkyturtle thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahhh i see!

i don't use a monitor so recommendations on how to proceed to determine the problem? bearing in mind i'm in the UK :)

----------

Update - He's tried to turn it on and nothing happens, he's said he plugs in the charger and nothing happens, not even a light on the charger?

12. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Buy one of these. Hook yourself up to a monitor, try booting into TDM on your iMac, or try booting off an external HDD as we're assuming the internal HDD in the MacBook is dead. If these end up not doing anything, send it in for a quote/diagnostics

13. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

AASP = Apple Authorised Service Provider

I don't know where in the UK you are, most major cities will have at least one I should think.

14. Flunkyturtle thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that mate, i don't have a monitor so can rule that out lol

But as i said a second ago

"Update - He's tried to turn it on and nothing happens, he's said he plugs in the charger and nothing happens, not even a light on the charger?"

If its not even giving a light on the charger that sounds to me that the problem isn't the screen (although this could still be buggered)

----------

Another update - he's found small print on it and its a model A1181

Which on a quick google is

Apple MacBook 13 A1181 Laptop 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 320GB 2GB Ram

15. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Model A1181 only means that it is a white/black non-Unibody MacBook. A1181 was used for about 25 different models and specs.

Take out the battery and read what it says on the grey label in the battery compartment.

I find it strange that you would think that the hard disc would survive the fall - the hard disc is usually the first casualty when a laptop is dropped !

Chances are the power socket is damaged but I would be really surprised if the screen is undamaged. There will be other problems too !!

16. Flunkyturtle thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah that would make sense :)

ahh i think you misunderstood me i'm pretty sure the Harddrive is buggered, could be right about the power socket as well