Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brunning

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
2007 MBP 3,1
2.4GHz
4GB RAM

No problems for 3 years. I just got a new iMac, so I got this MBP cleaned up to sell. I wiped the disk, reinstalled 10.6 and all updates, everything worked totally fine for a few days.

I put it in the drawer.

2 weeks pass, I have an interested buyer, I pull it out to get it charged up, and the screen is now flickering like CRAZY.

I've rebooted a bunch, reset PRAM, etc.

Doesn't look like a backlight issue (you can see the menu bar moving around when it flickers). Broken graphics card? Ideas?

Video on YouTube

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I had that model and that was what I saw when the graphic card began to die on it. Apple had extended the warranty and I got the logic board replaced for free. So I would go to Apple and see what you can work out with them.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Thanks.

The rub is that the AppleCare expired about a week ago.

Doesn't matter, apple is doing a kind of recall and extended the warranty on all laptops affected(so long as the trouble is the 8600gt graphics card, that is) to either 3 or 4 years, call them with your serial number, you'll most likely get a free logic board replacement and be on your merry way.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Doesn't matter, apple is doing a kind of recall and extended the warranty on all laptops affected(so long as the trouble is the 8600gt graphics card, that is)

It depends on how old the MBP is. Only the newer discrete MBPs had the 8600gt, while earlier models had an ATI GPU.

brunning

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
So I just checked and I do have the 8600GT graphics card in my MBP.

Off to the Genius Bar tomorrow to have a talk.

brunning

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
Update for those interested:

Apple tested the 8600 card and determined it was not faulty.

The problem was a dying/dead display (plugged into an external monitor, the video was fine).

Though Applecare had expired, they still covered the repair! (One of those "let me speak to my manager and see what we can do" moments, go Apple!)

Pillar

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2010
CA.
Update for those interested:

Apple tested the 8600 card and determined it was not faulty.

The problem was a dying/dead display (plugged into an external monitor, the video was fine).

Though Applecare had expired, they still covered the repair! (One of those "let me speak to my manager and see what we can do" moments, go Apple!)

wow, that's great!

Good to hear that Apple took care of you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.