Help with format/install new internal HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lovebeck, Nov 9, 2015.

1. lovebeck macrumors newbie

Hello!

Need some advice...tried on the Apple DB but got no help.

Anyway I'm trying to replace my original HD in my mid 2010 MBP. I'm still running 10.6.8 but want to update to El Capitan once the new HD is in.

After reading and reading and reading, I've currently got the NEW Seagate 1tb hybrid drive (has a small SSD built in) hooked up via USB to zero it out, then will reformat the drive before cloning my old internal HD to it using Disk Utility.

Is it really necessary to write the zeros first? It's a 1tb drive which will take at this point SEVEN hours....on an empty, brand new hard drive!

I do not have my install disks and the local Apple Store is as useless as tits on a nun...

Please, help me out! I miss my camera, Photoshop and Lightroom. My old drive whistles and I get the beachball all the time....plus it's about full.

Thanks in advance!!

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Just partition it, format it, and install OS X. You should be able to do all of this from internet recovery.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

OP: Internet Recovery may not work well since it tries to install the OS you MBP shipped with (I think 10.6 in your case) and I do not think it did that properly until Lion (10.7). I think you would be better off to go to the App Store, download the full El Capitan installer, Quit it when it tries to install, find the "Install OS X El Capitan" app (over 6 Gb) in the Applications folder and create a El Capitan USB installer (need a minimum 8 Gb USB thumb drive). Test the USB installer by booting from it. Use the USB installer to boot, format your new disk, and install El Capitan on your new HD.

EDIT: I agree with T5BRICK that you do not need zero out your new drive. Just partition for GUID and format for Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

4. lovebeck thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, if it was ONLY that simple! Running 10.6.8, I cannot make a USB installer...I dl'd El Capitan but it's not installed, it's just sitting there.

I tried using DU to copy my old HDF to the new one before I installed it. It went about 15-20 minutes then quit...

Got a box that said there was a read/write problem. So, I reformatted the new drive, again, set up one GUID partition, etc.

If I put the drive into the Mac and take the old drive and install it into the enclosure, will the Apple Store put El Capitan on it for me? Then I could just pick and choose what I want on the new HD?

This is a total PITA without the original install disk (10.6). We recently moved and I've looked for it for days, with no luck. :(

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I think your old drive is failing so that is probably part of the problems you are having upgrading.

I'm not sure if the Apple Store would install El Capitan for you. Try calling them an asking them. You might also ask the Apple Store if they would make you a El Capitan USB installer if you bring in a 8 Gb USB thumb Drive (explain your situation).

You will need an external enclosure to mount you old HD externally if you want to move files over once you have the new HD installed and working on El Capitan.

6. lovebeck thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to take my MacBook and a USB drive in with me tomorrow, along with the new HDD, to the Apple Store. I'm out of options. And I believe you're right, the old HDD is just about toast.

I was able to back up with Time Machine on my TM dedicated EHD, so I've got all of my files, etc.

I REALLY just want a fresh start with a fresh install of El Cap and my new 1TB hybrid drive and upgraded RAM (4gb to 8gb). The RAM will be here tomorrow...

7. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

OP asks:
    "Is it really necessary to write the zeros first?"

NO. There is absolutely no reason to do this.

BTW -- my opinion only, but you would do much better by putting a "straight" SSD into the MacBook (unless you absolutely, positively have-to-have all the storage space inside)...

8. lovebeck thread starter macrumors newbie

I really do need the space....I do a lot of photography and shoot Nikon NEF format with a full frame Nikon. Most files are 28-33mb a piece! And that's pre processing. If I save a PS file in .tiff format they're even larger.

That's the reason I went with the 1TB hybrid drive. I would LOVE a 1tb SSD but I just can't afford that right now.

I was able to pick up a Snow Leopard install disk at a local computer store. I paid $29.99 for it but I have it in hand and I don't have to deal with the children at the local Apple Store, lol. And for that, it was worth it.

I have everything I need now...The drive is formatted (no zeros, lol), I have the install disk and the upgraded RAM (4gb to 8gb) by Crucial also just arrived.

So, here goes nothing! Either my MBP will be running like a beast, or....

Will update her when I'm finished! Thanks again for the help! :)

9. lovebeck thread starter macrumors newbie

So far, so good. I installed the HDD and switched out the RAM then booted from the disc to install Snow Leopard OG, lol.

Updating to 10.6.8 and then *hopefully* I can upgrade to ElCapitan!

When in SL(OG) everything that I did mess with seemed MUCH snappier. I never did time the startup before I upgraded everything, but I'm pretty sure I'll know if it's faster than it was...

10. lovebeck thread starter macrumors newbie

Been running everything for about 24 hours now and all is good!

My battery is even lasting a lot longer!

My MBP is running much faster. Especially Lightroom and Photoshop.

Yay! :)