Help With Freeing Up Hard Drive Space?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Big Tav, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Big Tav macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone, I have a Macbook Pro and my Hard Drive is full. It is just full of photo's and videos due to filming the kids non stop on the iPhones!

Anyway, I want to remove all of my iPhoto Library to my external drive and start again. I am just worried I do it wrong and lose stuff.

I went in and found the iPhoto Library and dragged it all across to the external drive. Can I just delete the library off my Macbook now and just start adding new photos again like usual?

Also when I go back into the external drive and I click the icon it just launches like it goes back to iPhoto instead or opening a folder full of individual photos. Is that right?

Once I fill the Macbook again do I just drag the latest onto the external drive again? Will that just make a iPhoto Library(2) icon with sort of a 2012-15 then a 2015-17 file?

I hope this all makes sense. Any help will be most appreciated.

2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Go ahead and drag it to the external drive and delete the original. When you start iPhoto, hold down the option key to create a new library, or when another is made, select a different one.
    Consider too multiple backups of those pics, I suggest a minimum of three. When your hard drive dies, and it will, all will be lost. DO that backup before deleting anything.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

When you are happy that iPhoto is using the Library on the external drive, you can then delete the one on your Mac. iPhoto should automatically load the external Library the next time you open it.