Help with Fresh Install of my Mac OS and more?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dolomite360, Jan 10, 2011.

1. dolomite360 macrumors member

So I want to do a fresh re-install of my Mac's OS. 10.6.5 is what I currently have on my MacBook Pro 15" (Sept. 2009). I want to do this just to make things a little faster but I don't want to lose my 1000 songs and a couple documents. How do I back these up? I don't really want to buy an external hard drive but will a USB Stick work? Just transfer all my files onto the USB stick and then insert the Snow Leopard CD to re-install the OS then once it's re-installed do I just plug in the USB stick and drag everything to where I want it? How would I go about doing what I've mentioned here above... I think I know how but I'm just asking here for reassurance. Thanks. I'd really not like to purchase anything additional besides a USB stick.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

USB stick works as long as it's big enough to hold all your data

3. ryanrich macrumors regular

If you run the SL install from your current installation then it will reinstall your X11 and all system files to original (10.6.3) but will keep all your settings and apps intact. I did just that a few hours ago, and then re-ran the 10.6.6 combo update, because I messed up my Finder during the initial 10.6.6 update. System seems much more responsive now...

If however you want to completely erase your disk and start over, then yeah, you can just copy your files over to a USB flash disk for restore later on.

4. dolomite360 thread starter macrumors member

Will I keep all of my iTunes songs + their album artwork too????? Thanks!

5. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

Yes. But its worth making a backup just in case. If you want to backup your iTunes playlists too then backup the library files in your music folder.

But as ryanrich said, installing snow leopard wont erase your data unless you tell it too.