HELP with FTP!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aarongobo, Apr 29, 2007.

1. aarongobo macrumors newbie

Hi

I just got a new mac with Tiger and did all the updates on it, however I am unable to upload to any ftp server.

I am able to upload files using my XP machine (windows) but not with the mac! I tried 3 diff. server numerous times, then finally made my own server, and it still didn't work!

Please reply if you know how to fix this or if you know of a FREE FTP server that I could have access to!

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

is your firewall on?
    im not sire but I think its on by defult.
    go to system pref -> sharing -> firewall.

and just turn it off, sounds like your behind a router so your good.

3. aarongobo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply!

Well, the firewall is turned off, but I enabled the ftp access on the first field, then restarted my laptop... it still doesn't work! Any other ideas?!?!

EDIT: Oh yeah, by the way, the error message says that it can't be modified... also the "get info" thing shows that it is "read only" but using the same server on the same router with the xp machine lets me upload files...

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

try to connect to ftp://ftp.apple.com using the connect to server under the go tab on finder.
    make sure to type in the whole address.

edit: to your edit:
    sounds like a server issue or that you didn't login in properly.

5. aarongobo thread starter macrumors newbie

It lets me connect, but I still can't upload anything... it still says that it is read only and can not be modified...

6. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

okey dokey if says that to the apple site good you shouldn't.

try connection to your own ftp server using the same style.

7. aarongobo thread starter macrumors newbie

I am able to read the server, but nothing else... I can't UPLOAD any files, which is what I want to be doing with FTP... I DO NOT have a problem reading the ftp server or accessing it, it is a matter of UPLOADING FILES!!! Any Suggestions?!?!

Thanks so much for your help, by the way.

8. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

sorry for being an idiot.

anyways:
    where is the ftp server set up?
    are you logging into it or just going in as a guest. I believe this to be your problem.
    may i try to log into the server? if you dont want to post the credentials pm them to me.

9. live4ever macrumors 6502a

The Finder is read only when connected to FTP servers (it sounds like you're using the Finder, or what FTP apps did you try). Try using Terminal.app or download Cyberduck.

10. aarongobo thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using the Finder

Well, I am using the Finder window...

I tried a diff. program, and sure enough, it worked... but... I want to be able to have it so that the server appears in the finder window like the iDisk... I tried the box.net, but it's SO slow... any ideas? I'm just looking for a FREE service that has plenty of space and bandwidth that I can have built-in to the finder window!

Thanks

11. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

I don't think you can use the Finder window to do FTP transactions as far as uploading.

12. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

you can't upload in finder. Use a great free FTP program called cyberduck. It's super easy to use