Help with Games/Windows on new MP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by phistaper4v, Feb 20, 2008.

1. phistaper4v macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am heading off to pick up my new mac pro now (3.2, 2gb ram, 500gb hd, and 8880 card). Anyway, I will be using my machine for mostly audio editing in OSX, but I am somewhat interested in installing windows for both the ability to play some games, and also use some programs that are isolated for their OS.
    Anyway, I havent dealt with windows in so long, I am wondering what version I should attempt to acquire for installation. Also, am I best setting up a separate drive in the machine for that installation? Or running it all off of one? Finally, I am wondering if I should go with bootcamp or parallels. Any help would be appreciated. jps

2. smogsy macrumors 6502a

bootcamp games Vista 64bit tbh can see all cpu/ram and has dx10 for games that will be coming out

3. benpatient macrumors 68000

vista 64 is the most "future-ready" as it can handle more than 4gb of RAM, and it supports dx10, as he said, but it also has more issues with drivers and optimization for graphics cards at this point. With as long as they have had to work on it, Vista with DX10's "optimized" codepaths should be able to play the same game at least as fast as XP SP2, but at the moment, XP is still faster.