Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexisonfire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Hey Guys

I updated my touch to 2.1 today and update itunes to 8 today

i have the "genius" feature working fine in itunes however i cannot get it to work on my touch, it just says, "enable in itunes" when it clearly already is and is working...

any suggestions?

Thanks

Jake

kjryan

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
I was having the same problem with my touch. I must have synced it over 50 times and turned the genius feature on and off a few times before I finally gave up and restored the iPod. That did the trick, even though it was a big pain to restore all of my music.

Eric Isaacson

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
I am having the same problem, I've synced several times and I don't see anything at all regarding the "genius" feature on my Ipod Touch.

Any ideas besides a restore?

icepulse

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I am having the same problem, I've synced several times and I don't see anything at all regarding the "genius" feature on my Ipod Touch.

Any ideas besides a restore?

I dragged the "Genius" playlist from the iTunes playlist area onto the iPod Touch icon that shows up when the iPod is attached. That did it for me.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
The following method fixed all sync errors and fixed genius playlist issue for me.

1. Sync iPod Touch.
2. Restore or Upgrade to 2.1 Firmware. (Do not Restore from Backup after upgrade is complete.)
3. Disconnect iPod from computer and turn it off. (not sleep but power off by holding the sleep button for 5 seconds and slide to power off.)
4. Quit iTunes 8
5. Relaunch iTunes 8
6. Connect iPod to computer while it is still powered off.
7. iPod will boot fresh into 2.1 firmware.
8. iTunes will ask if you wish to restore from previous backup or setup a new iPod.
9. Choose setup a new iPod.
10. Sync.

Worked like a charm. No Issues at all since. :)

Dale Sorel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
I dragged the "Genius" playlist from the iTunes playlist area onto the iPod Touch icon that shows up when the iPod is attached. That did it for me.

I've seen that suggestion here and at iPodTouchFans.com, yet I can't get it to work for me. When I try to drag the little genius thingy with the atomic symbol over to the iPod symbol I don't get the green plus sign indicating a successful transfer. And the genius continues to not work on my touch.

Eric Isaacson

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
I've seen that suggestion here and at iPodTouchFans.com, yet I can't get it to work for me. When I try to drag the little genius thingy with the atomic symbol over to the iPod symbol I don't get the green plus sign indicating a successful transfer. And the genius continues to not work on my touch.

Did you create a playlist with the Genius function first? That is what I did on Itunes, I created a genius playlist and then I used this playlist to drag to my Ipod Touch.

I hope that helps

Eric

Dale Sorel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Just to put a period on this adventure... I did a restore on my touch again, and I plugged in my iPod shuffle just to see if it would take the drag from genius. It did, and I have no idea why, but the genius now works on my touch. I am still unable to drag the genius onto my touch, but at least genius on my touch now works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.